AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Tag Assistant Error-AdWords GCLID parameter was missing from this hit

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

 

I noticed in my client's GA account that there was an error indicating:

 

The Ad Destination URL http://XXXX/ from the AdWords account YYYYY has accrued a significant number of clicks but a lower-than-expected number of corresponding sessions because the page is dropping or altering the gclid parameter inserted by Google

 

This is confirmed by the fact that we see click data coming in, but no sessions associated with those clicks.

 

However, in looking into this, the server is not stripping or altering the gclid parameter. This is what most help articles on the topic point towards. To further reinforce this, I can see that the "dl" query parameter sent in the GA collect request includes the correct "gclid" parameter and value (see this article for notes on how to inspect the collect request)

 

When running the Google Tag Assistant Chrome extension, I receive the following error:

 

The AdWords auto-tagging GCLID parameter was missing from this hit, but the parameter was present in this page's URL

 

However, just for fun, I ran the same tag assistant on a number of other websites (this one for instance) and they all show the same error.

 

How can I trouble-shoot this further when the server is not changing the gclid parameter and the collect request includes the gclid parameter? I'm at a loss.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam R
October 2015

Re: Tag Assistant Error-AdWords GCLID parameter was missing from this

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
We figured it out! Our server had a rewrite rule forcing everything to lowercase. This was altering the GCLID so that it remained in the URL but was invalid.

View solution in original post

Re: Tag Assistant Error-AdWords GCLID parameter was missing from this

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adam
I've seen this before and in ALL cases, it was down to the redirect in SSL stripping it yet leaving it visible in the URL bar. Can you check that?

Re: Tag Assistant Error-AdWords GCLID parameter was missing from this

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply but my client doesn't have HTTPS implemented. In fact, I can run the Google Tag Assistant on other non-HTTPS sites (like this one - http://flyinglocksmiths.com/portfolios/doors/?gclid=CPzQ9dK4z8gCFc-RHwodDNAJAA) and see the same error presented.

 

At this point, I have to imagine that the Tag Assistant error is a bug?

 

tag assistant report.png

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam R
October 2015

Re: Tag Assistant Error-AdWords GCLID parameter was missing from this

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
We figured it out! Our server had a rewrite rule forcing everything to lowercase. This was altering the GCLID so that it remained in the URL but was invalid.

Re: Tag Assistant Error-AdWords GCLID parameter was missing from this

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Adam!

Thank you SO SO much for coming back with the solution. It has been driving me nuts. I knew it was a rewrite issue (it nearly always is) but never thought of a casing rewrite. You're the first I've ever heard that uses that. Glad it's sorted now.