AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Switching To Manual Tagging...Best practises?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need to switch from auto tagging to manual tagging (with UTM parameters). Hope somebody can help me with the below:

1) What is the best practise to switch to manual  tagging (with UTM parameters)  without losing any data and making sure that everything works correctly?Just asking as I have heard somebody having issue with the switch 

2) If Switch to manual tagging, adwords is still able to show conversions at a keyword level?

3) Should I create the link with UTM parameters from here: https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/ or should I use the "

Ad URL options (advanced)" at ads level when I set up the ad? 

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Switching To Manual Tagging...Best practises?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @tommaso s,

There's one thing that you must take care while switching from Auto to Manual tagging, and that is - do not change the Source/Medium of google/cpc to anything else. Doing so will stop your data being accumulated under Analytics AdWords Report and you won't even be able to import your conversions to AdWords. 

To your other question, the link you have shared is for Google's new URL builder tool. You can use it to build your UTMs and then you can add them as Tracking Templates under Ad URL Options in AdWords interface. 

Your Tracking Template should start with {lpurl}? if you are not using any third party tracker. For instance, if your UTMs are - utm_source=google&utm_campaign=skincare&utm_medium=cpc, your Tracking Template should be -

{lpurl}?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=skincare&utm_medium=cpc

Finally, if you want to track keyword as well with manual tagging, use {keyword} ValueTrack in your tracking. 

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.