AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Strange spike in conversions we didn't actually get?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

The AdWords account that I manage recently had a strange spike in conversions on a page that had previously been receiving only a few clicks a day. On the 16th and 17th we received 24 and 15 conversions respectively, which definitely wasn't right. I re-generated the snippet and had a developer put it back in the code for the site so it's back to normal, but I just want to know what caused to make sure we're doing everything right.

Thanks,

Mike

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Strange spike in conversions we didn't actually get?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting! 

Did you check to see if there was a specific time of the day that the increase conversions happened? Did the spike happen in a particular campaign or ad group or ad? Was it due to certain keywords or maybe a display placement? If it was for certain keywords, are they on broad match? Did the increase come from the Search network, Display network or Search Partners?

I'd recommend taking a look at all these factors and any changes made in the AdWords account account to see if you can find out if there was a specific reason for the jump in conversions.

Alternatively, could the spike relate to an external factor - i.e. a news story or sudden trend? 

As long as you have the code on the correct page, it should not fire unless someone reaches that page. Tag Assistant is a great extension that will show you what code is on a particular web page, and if there are any issues with the installation. Take a look here: http://goo.gl/MHc1N .

I hope this helps! 

Re: Strange spike in conversions we didn't actually get?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Mike;

I agree with @RachelM ; This looks like an external factor that had a "local" effect,  without affecting the overall performance. Staiatically,  I would ignore it, for now, and would not  change any parameter in the campaign

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’