AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Splitting Between Purchase Conversions

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

Hello,

I have searched and cannot seem to find the answer to my question. Please forgive me if this is a repost.

I am currently tracking orders and conversion value perfectly. The trouble is my company's samples are processed as orders. I would like to split that out. Samples have a characteristic that makes them easy to split from orders, they are free

Forgive my lack of JQuery knowledge.

I obviously pass a conversion value variable into our current Google tracking. Is it possible that I have two conversions, one for orders and one for samples, split by an if statement?--see below. 

If....

GoogleConversionValueVariable>0

then...

trigger conversion 1(Orders)

else...

trigger conversion 2(Samples)

I won't be modifying the code but I would like verify this is possible before I take it back to the person that will help me modify my conversion tags. I appreciate any help that anyone can provide. Again, I'm sure this has already been attempted so please refer me to another resource if that is the case.

Thanks, 

Zach 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zach Shearer
September 2015

Re: Splitting Between Purchase Conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi zsshearer1 and welcome to the forum.  There's no problem with what you suggest at all and your example is exactly the sort of thing I'd do.  Create two different Conversions within Adwords then use scripting to render out either one or the other depending upon whether it's an order or a sample.  As long as only one snippet of conversion code is displayed at any one time, it should work fine.

Just a quick word of warning - do make sure:

a)  that conversion code (either) only renders when the conversion is completed 

b)  that there is no way of reaching this "completion" page (and the code) without actually purchasing/ordering

c)  that the conversion code does render when you want it to.

We've seen lots of problems with conversions caused by one or more of the above...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zach Shearer
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi zsshearer1 and welcome to the forum.  There's no problem with what you suggest at all and your example is exactly the sort of thing I'd do.  Create two different Conversions within Adwords then use scripting to render out either one or the other depending upon whether it's an order or a sample.  As long as only one snippet of conversion code is displayed at any one time, it should work fine.

Just a quick word of warning - do make sure:

a)  that conversion code (either) only renders when the conversion is completed 

b)  that there is no way of reaching this "completion" page (and the code) without actually purchasing/ordering

c)  that the conversion code does render when you want it to.

We've seen lots of problems with conversions caused by one or more of the above...

Jon

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Thanks for the welcome. I hope to stick around and try to contribute a bit more!

Your answer is all I needed! I just wanted to make sure that this has been done before and without issue before I go and waste someone's time.

Thanks again,

Zach

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

No problem Zach, please do come back and tell us if it works for you.

Jon