AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Split Test Landing Pages, Measuring Contact Form and Phone Conversion Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All

For our clients and our site, we have created landing pages, with both contact form and telephone conversion tracking, and we have been trying to setup landing page split testing in AdWords, but I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this.

To be able to work out which landing page provides the most conversions (conversion being through the contact form or by telephone), I can only see one way, which is to duplicate the ads in AdWords, with the only change being the landing page (final URL), which just seems excessive.

You can't use Google analytics as you can't import and monitor telephone tracking from AdWords.

If anyone has any other alternatives to be able to achieve this, would really appreciate any help on this.

Many thanks

Richard Merry

Re: Split Test Landing Pages, Measuring Contact Form and Phone Conversion Tracking

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Richard,

There isn't a landing page split test tool in Adwords, per se. Also, duplicating the ads within the ad group and giving them a separate landing page won't really work because some may receive the majority of impressions, not giving you a real split test.

What you want to do is use the campaign draft and experiment. Then, use one landing page in the original campaign, then use the other landing page in the duplicate campaign. The link provided will give you more info on how it works, settings, etc. I think there could be a better way, but it's what's offered now.

Best of luck,

David

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

Many thanks for your reply, I did think my options are either using 'campaign draft' or 'duplicating the ads' and I thought duplicating the ads would be a better option so you keep the rest of the campaign consistent as possible, as opposed to duplicating the whole campaign just to test the landing pages.

With regard to duplicating the ads, when we split test ads we typically select 'Rotate indefinitely: Show lower performing ads more evenly with higher performing ads, and do not optimize' so that each ad gets a fair share of impressions to analyse the data and manually select. But as far as split testing the landing pages, having a good amount of clicks and analysing the click through rates is important.

I'll take a look at campaign draft in a bit more detail and I really appreciate your help.

Many thanks

Richard

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I typically choose rotate indefinitely as well. However, it's a little misleading. That doesn't mean each ad will receive an even number of impressions (or even close to it).

What it really means is the ads will have an even chance to enter the auction. If an ad doesn't win the auction they won't receive the impression. So you could have one ad that is doing really well and receives tons of impressions. You could have another that rarely wins the auction and receives an impression.

I am not a fan of having to replicate an entire campaign to test one thing, mainly because I don't like the clutter in my account. However, I haven't really used it yet. So I don't know if you can use that replicated campaign again in the future to test something different, or do I need to replicate the current campaign all over again, ultimately leaving me with two campaigns I won't use once the experiment is over. Maybe someone with more experience with the feature will chime in.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This same question back to 2012 has mostly the same answers. All the solutions are excessive, SEOG. Would love to hear a new one and I propose Google Optimize might be a solution that hasn't been discussed but I don't have experience yet and there is one additional challenge - more on that at the end of this post.

ACE (or drafts/experiments) or Content Experiments in Analytics or different ads same ad group. With Calls, content experiments won't work like SEO G said. If you do ACE. The problem with ACE is that if you do a bunch of experiments it's incredibly clunky to manage, because there is no interface to manage all your ACE at the same time. So you have to do changes to your campaigns then go into each experiment individually and replicate those. Makes every change at any level a bit of a pain.

There are also server side 302 redirects, we use manual tagging so that won't work and I think even for autotagging the GCLID of the first page would always be reported into analytics. So even with 2 seperate profiles or views all the adwords data won't end up in the split tested page.

Of course there are third party tools and Google Optimize could actually work and split the traffic 50/50 or optimizely or VWO. We have tons of landing pages though, so. That's fun to try to set this up in any tool.

There is no perfect solution, I've decided on putting the ads in the same adgroup and using rotate indefinitely and just changing the LP. I hope Google will get with the program and help us out in AdWords Beta with this problem. This is also not a perfect solution, but none of them are, and this is the absolute best option to not have to manage 2 sets of changes for the duration of the experiments. Last ACE experiments we ran I ended up doing alot of the changes in AdWords Editor which was helpful, but it's still a cluster.

I would love to hear from someone who used Google optimize to accomplish this - it's actually the most likely solution. But with dozens or hundreds of URL's not sure how that could be implemented without creating dozens or hundreds of 50/50 split tests. I haven't seen that solution proposed yet.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

This thread was from February and there was an announcement in May that Adwords would integrate with Optimize.

https://adwords.googleblog.com/2017/05/google-optimize-and-google-surveys-360.html