AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Someone clicks ad twice, then converts once - how many "cc"'s?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I'm trying to reconcile, or at least "understand" the differences being reported by "converted clicks" (in Adwords) and "Goal Completions" in Analytics.

We just have ONE goal being tracked in both Adwords and Analytics.

Adwords is counting 32% MORE "converted clicks" than Analytics is counting "Goal Completions".

This will NEVER be the same, I understand, but 32% more?

Here's my question, and it could lead me to a better understanding.

If someone clicks my ad, say 3 times... in the span of a half hour, or whatever... and then they CONVERT one time on the final click... HOW MANY "converted clicks" will be reported?  1, or 3?

I'm "hoping" the answer is "3" because then this issue will be explained pretty much.  If the answer is "1" I will be entirely baffled.

Let me know your thoughts...

Thanks!

Dan

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Someone clicks ad twice, then converts once - how many "cc&qu

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dan,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

The answer is -ONE.

AdWords will attribute a conversion to the last AdWords click only. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Re: Someone clicks ad twice, then converts once - how many "cc&am

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Darn...so I will remain baffled. Smiley Happy Any thoughts as to why this could be occurring? Envison a VERY simple setup. 2 web pages: a landing page and a confirmation page. Analytics code setup perfectly, Adwords tracking code setup perfectly.

At the end of 1 month Adwords tracks 32% MORE "converted clicks" than Analytics tracks for "goal completions".

Any thoughts on this?

Dan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
By the way, thanks for the answer Ratan.

A follow up question for anyone with the answer: is it possible, in my adwords interface, to see WHICH specific conversions are being counted in "converted clicks"?

Anyway to see a breakdown?

Dan

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Dan E

"Converted click" shows the number of AdWords ad clicks that resulted in one or more conversions within your chosen conversion window. It means it counts only the click which converted. To make it understand better -  if the same person clicks an ad more than once and converts, AdWords will count the click that converted.

Now coming to the difference in AdWords and GA - 

The difference is caused because of the different attribution methods in place. You can read more here at this URL - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2679221?hl=en

To your final question- 

is it possible, in my adwords interface, to see WHICH specific conversions are being counted in "converted clicks"?

You seem to have confusion in understanding converted clicks and conversion. I will try explaining it here.

If a person clicks your ad and converts on the website, AdWords will count 1 converted click and 1 conversion. Now if a person comes to your website converts more than once, for instance if you have two sign up forms or if you have an ecommerce website where the same person buys two different products, in this case you have 1 click and 2 conversions. 

In short,

Converted Click = Unique Converted Customers

Conversions = Total Conversion actions

In reporting terms Converted Click was initially called = One-Per-Click Conversion, and Conversions were called Many-Per-Click conversion. 

So, to your question - WHICH specific conversions are being counted in "converted clicks - Every Unique Converted Customer is being counted as Converted Click. 

Hope it helps. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.