AdWords
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Sitelink Extension Reporting

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

How do we report sitelink extensions? Because when I'm seeing at the Adwords Dashboard its showing same number against every sitelink text and when I'm downloading it report is showing sum of all the numbers. So can anybody help me how can I understand this data.

Thanks,

Anurag

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sitelink Extension Reporting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
The sitelink reporting is misleading (in my opinion) because what we are seeing is not what we expect to see...

When an ad appears with sitelinks and is clicked on - ALL the sitelinks get credited with a click. This is why they all have the same number of clicks....

So - let's suppose you have 4 sitelinks - each of the sitelinks AND the ad get credited with a click..... what I think we expect to see is that the CTR for a sitelink is for people that clicked on the sitelink itself - but it's not.

There are a couple of things to remember... the CTR is often higher for sitleinks than for the regular ads - but this is often because sitelinks only appear when the ad is in one of the top positions - and if you segment your ads by top and side you'll likely see that the top positions get a much better CTR in any case. Because of this it's actually hard to see whether the sitleinks themsleves improved the CTR, or just the position.

The other thing to bear in mind is that somtimes the sitleinks have different CTR's -how can this be? Essentially, if you have 4 or more sitleinks, they don't always appear. There might be only two, or three - or, obviously 4 from the possible 6.

Suppose you have four, and one ad impression serves with two of them and the ad gets a click - those two sitelinks get credited with a click - the other two - that didn't appear - don't... thus the CTR's will be different.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Anurag Saxena,

You can see how many clicks your ad received when it was displayed with a particular extension type. To see clicks on just the ad extension, use the Ad extensions tab, click the Segment drop-down button and select Click type. To understand other available ad extension statistics visit https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454049?hl=en.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
I use the segment "this extension vs other" from the Ad Extensions tab , for reporting separate impression and clicks.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I agree with Steve @stickleback  on this;

Sitelinks could be misleading; Hence, I recommend to use it only when adding new sitelinks, or making changes  for testing  whether the changes  have (roughly) made any change in CTR (usually not...). OR to get  an estimate of the sitelinks clicked, as a ratio  of overall "top" -( This is a rough estimate, since  you assume all "top" impressions had sitelinks when appeared.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah, this is actually better. Smiley Happy Click type segment doesn't refer to individual sitelink’s performance.