AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Site is .com.au and I have all my ads set as .com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there awesome Adwords Community,

I have a website that serve multiple countries using .com.au or .co.uk or .com .

I am currently targeting Australia and my website automatically redirects to .com.au when someone press the ads that I by mistake have set to go to .com . 

I believe this is the reason that I am having very wrong data coming over my way. 

Do I have to change all those ads to .com.au ?

Does adwords report the 301 correctly?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Angelos S
April 2016

Re: Site is .com.au and I have all my ads set as .com

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Angelos.

First of all, according to AdWords' policies, "The domains of your ad's display URL, final URL, and landing page URL need to match." Here's the link where it's mentioned: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6021546?hl=en&ref_topic=1626336

Apart from that, redirects are a fickle beast. More often than not webservers drop query parameters when they redirect, so a click to www.example.com/page.html?q=something gets redirected to www.example.org/page.html

When that happens for auto-tagged URLs in AdWords the gclid parameter gets dropped, Analytics attributes that traffic to Google organic and so on. Nothing but pain and tears Smiley Happy. So if possible try and get all our URLs "in a row", i.e. pointing down-under, to .com.au Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Site is .com.au and I have all my ads set as .com

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi there,

301 is an feature related to SEO, used to pass on link value, it doesn't have any importance in the AdWords realm. Using .com in display URL and sending users to .com.au would violate Google's advertising policies. It is Google's requirement that display & destination URLs should point to the same domain.

I'd suggest having separate campaigns for each target location, with appropriate display and destination URLS.

Feel free to write back!
Sumanth Sridhar