AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Significant discrepancies in Revenue Growth figure Adwords vs Analytics

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I am very aware of how and why Adwords and Analytics show discrepancies in their data.

However, for the current month to date the discrepancies seem far beyond what we would expect to see.

Google AdWords reports Total Conversion Value as having grown 33.74% 1st Sept - 20th Sept

Google Analytics reports Revenue generated from AdWords as having fallen 24.93% 1st Sept - 20th Sept

I believe as small amount of this discrepancy can be accounted for by Product Listing Ads. We began using Product Listing Ads in October 2011 - PLAs are reported as part of "organic" traffic in Analytics, as the tracked URLs are taken from the Merchant Center feed. However, this alone doesn't account for the large discrepancy.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Significant discrepancies in Revenue Growth figure Adwords vs Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

I am assuming that you are comparing your reports of Total Conversion Values with the Ecommerce report which you get inside Google Analytics. Let me know if that's not the case.

Conversion value report is the static one where you actually append the value inside the Conversion Tracking script like this:-

As seen above, I have changed the default value to 10 above so that now it will correlate to number of conversions (many per click) which I get in Adwords.

But in case of ecommerce tracking, the values are sent to Google servers using specific method and calling particular functions as mentioned in this article. I am not sure how actually this can be compared to some general conversion value which you get inside Adwords.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jmeager
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, jmeager.

Let's take things step by step:

- PLA traffic: if you have linked Analytics and AdWords accounts, and either auto-tagging enabled or manually tagged links, should go in the CPC bucket, not the organic one. In case you don't have auto-tagging, and neither tagged your links yourself, then indeed it'll go to the organic bucket.

- conversion value discrepancies. Are you familiar with multi-channel funnels in Analytics? A click on an AdWords ad, followed by a click on an organic search result and then a conversion will be reported as organic in Analytics, and belonging to AdWords in the AdWords interface. This may account for Analytics showing less CPC conversions than AdWords.

- the cookie duration is different. 31 days after an AdWords ad click, followd by a direct visit, will cause Analytics to attribute the conversion to AdWords (the cookie duration is longer), and AdWords not to report anything.

So, in your situation, it's very likely that AdWords did indeed participate in more conversions than it did in the previous month, but this time AdWords visits were followed by visits from other sources (except direct visits, so for instance organic or referral traffic), who "stole" the credit for the conversion in Analytics' eyes.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi both of you,

Many thanks for your replies. It is good to know that at least on the face of it our AdWords sales are realistic (though I am about to post a new issue!)

AdWiser:

- to manually tag the PLA traffic, is the only option to make addendums to the feed exported in Merchant Center or is there an easier way in AdWords?

Jonathan

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello.

It depends on what level you want to look at. If you link Merchant Center and AdWords (product extentions), you'll see (by applying the right segmentation) how your product extensions & product listing ads perform. But you need to set them up properly.

If you also link Analytics, and use either auto-tagging (btw, is there any reason why you would not use it? If you use auto-tagging and a linked Analytics account you won't see AdWords visits in the organic bucket because the system shares data between Analytics and AdWords), you'll be able to see which were the pages where PLA traffic lands. The only issue is that if you have other AdWords ads pointing exactly to the same pages, and you do not have the right parameters in the Merchant Center feeds, you won't be able to tell a PLA click from a regular text ad click.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.