AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Should I be using UTM and/or GCLID parameters?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

Should I be using UTM and/or GCLID parameters for more accurate tracking for my adwords campaigns?

I appreciate any input or feedback?

Thanks,

Claire.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

If you have already enabled the auto tagging in AdWords, then there is no need to add the UTM tracking.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rakesh,

Ok thanks, yes I have enabled auto tagging in Adwords, but my boss wants to start using better tracking techniques, he recommended GCLID, but I just want to investigate it first. Is GCLID hard to implement? 

Re: Should I be using UTM and/or GCLID parameters?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @Kelly C,

When auto tagging is enabled in your Adwords account, a unique ?gclid parameter will be appended on your destination URLs. GCLID (Google Click ID) is used to pass information between Adwords and Analytics. So if you're utilizing auto tagging then you are also utilizing the GCLID feature....

That being said, you can use value track parameters in your tracking template if you were wanting to pass correlating data to your CRM systems. But if you are only tracking your data, via Analytics, auto-tagging (GCLID) is really all you need.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

ok thanks Smiley Happy