AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Shortned URLs and Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to send ads to the URL: https://www.precisioncraft.com/floor-plans/#filter=.lux#sort=original-order but cannot because it has illegal characters. 

To work around this, I could shorten the URL (which would work because our display domain would be the same as the final URL domain)

My Question is: Will AdWords and Analytics be able to track the user through this sort of 'redirect' or will everything a user does be attributed to the shortened URL?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Re: Shortned URLs and Tracking

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Sarah, how are things?

Adwords does not accept shortned URLs and your ad will probably get disapproved.

Also, shortners are usually just redirects to the final url, and Adwords skip every redirect in the way, making that URL the final one, which will continue not to work.

The best thing to do in this case is to create or direct the user to another page, and review the filter system in your website. If there're invalid caracteres that Adwords won't accept, there's a good chance that other platforms won't accept either, giving you the same problem.

Hope this helps.
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Re: Shortned URLs and Tracking

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Sarah, how are things?

Adwords does not accept shortned URLs and your ad will probably get disapproved.

Also, shortners are usually just redirects to the final url, and Adwords skip every redirect in the way, making that URL the final one, which will continue not to work.

The best thing to do in this case is to create or direct the user to another page, and review the filter system in your website. If there're invalid caracteres that Adwords won't accept, there's a good chance that other platforms won't accept either, giving you the same problem.

Hope this helps.
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click