AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Serving for Terms Negatively Matched

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi There

If I broad negative match the term job and jobs at a campaign level, why am I still seeing a search term with jobs in it in my search term report?

I have done so much reading, and technically, having negatives for both the singular and plural, should prevent the ad from serving to any of these terms. Would a phrase match be safer (though I think in this case it wouldn't make a difference)?

Thanks in advance,

Anje

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Serving for Terms Negatively Matched

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Anje,

When did you add these negative keywords? Are you looking at the search term report for a date range that includes a time that these negative keywords were not in your account?

Kathleen

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Anje,

I have faced similar situations in my campaigns in the past and found that Phrase matchtype for Negatives is a better option.

I would add 'job' in phrase matchtype as a negative and it would take care of queries with even plurals in it like, 'jobs'. I would suggest you apply Phrase matchtype to all your negatives and then check if you still face the problem. Ideally, you shouldn't.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Hello Anje H,

like you said if you have both negative keywords ''job'' and ''jobs'' then any search term with these 2 words shouldn't trigger any of your ads.

Also it doesn't matter whether it is phrase or broad match negative keyword for one-word terms because it does exactly the same trick.

Can there be a problem with time range selected? Maybe you added this negative keyword later but you are still looking at the time range set to: all time?

Keyword is only on ad group level, but not on campaign level and you are looking for search terms on campaign level?

There has been some cases especially in negative keyword lists in shared library where people reported the same issue like you have. Maybe this is the case?

Alex

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Yes, phrase match won't make any difference here. 

I'll go with @Tomáš Kraus  . Make sure you have the correct time range selected and you are checking at the right level - campaign/adgroup where those negs are added. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Kathleen, Shashank, Alex and Ratan

Thank you for your responses and my apologies for the delay in replying.

The keywords were set as broads on a campaign level, not in the shared library. Alex, I find it interesting what you say about the shared library and will bear that in mind going forward.

If the negative keywords were added from the day the campaign was created, can you think of any other reason I might be serving for these terms (in other words, the time range selected is correct)?

Thanks again for your helpful answers.

Anje

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

It could be that you are looking at a search terms report for "All campaigns" thus the search term might be triggered by a keyword from a different campaign where you have not blocked "jobs" ?

Use Tools>>Ad preview and diagnosis to input that search term with "jobs" to see if it is triggered or blocked by a negative.

Also "I would add 'job' in phrase matchtype as a negative and it would take care of queries with even plurals in it like, 'jobs'." from message 3 , using a singular negative keyword to block a plural will unfortunately not work .

Negatives do not expand to cover plurals by default so we have to add singular+plural negatives all the time, when it comes to setting up negative keywords.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
In addition to the above - as I think perhaps this would be worth mentioning - the campaign is opted in to include search partners.

In South Africa, one of the big search partners is Gumtree. I've often found in my search term reports, that the search terms look like categories that have been selected, rather than actual terms a user might type, for example I might see a term: home garden garden braai garden decorations & plants western cape - with thousands of impressions and only a few clicks - this is normally from a search partner and, I'm assuming, is more based on how the person searched rather than what they actually typed.

Is it possible that, even though I have broads negatively matched at a campaign level, they might be missed because of this? Just a guess as I'm running out of ideas as to what the cause might be. Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Adrian

Thank you for your response. The STR was definitely just for the one campaign. When using the ad preview tool and typing in job and jobs (separately), the ad is not serving. It's the strangest thing.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anje H
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Anje H,

When you pull up the search terms report, you can find out from what network a search terms arrived through the button "Segment" option "Network(with search partners) ".

I am also running Search campaigns with search partners and I am able to see certain longer search terms coming from the Search Partners segment.

You will see different statistics on 2 rows one for "Google search" and one for "Search partners".

You are looking at search terms in the AdWords interface not in the Google analytics report "Search queries" right ?