AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Segment Conversion-1-click performance data by action name?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This might sound like a dumb question but why can't you segment your 1-click conversions performance data by conversion action name? My account has multiple campaigns and conversions and it would be great to understand which campaigns (and adgroups/keywords within them) are driving which specific 1-click conversions.

I know you can segment by many-per-click but this seems to be less useful to me. 

Thanks

Laurie

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Laurie T
September 2015

Re: Segment Conversion-1-click performance data by action name?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
It's not a dumb question at all... it took me a while to figure this out... but I think I understand it...

Conversions 1 per click don't actually exist as such... they are not a conversion in and of themselves but rather an indication that a visitor made a conversion. I know that sounds wrong - but bear with me....

If a visitor converts twice in the same visit then Google will only record one 1 per click conversion. And these could be different conversions for each visitor - depending upon how many conversions you are tracking.

This makes sense... I have, for example, a client where we measure a quick form submission as a conversion - then once the quick form is completed the visitor has the chance to turn that "quote" into a booking - there is a second conversion there.

In this case, any visitor who completes the second conversion will, by virtue of the site structure, already have completed the first.

So - on a 1 per click conversion Google will record one conversion, but which conversion is the one Google would segment for - the first or the second?

If we consider a situation where there is just one visitor and two conversions the segmentation on 1 per click wouldn't work, because there is only one 1 per click conversion - how can Google segment by type or action name?

With many per click - Google can tell me that there was one of each conversion type/name

I agree that it's not ideal, but if you consider a site where a visitor might have 4 or 5 or more conversion options then it is clear that the segmentation can only really work on ALL conversions.

What this means for us is that we should be careful about what we count as conversions in Adwords.... it is perhaps worth having a whole bunch of goals in Analytics to track traffic, but then focusing only on the very core conversions back in Adwords.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Laurie T
September 2015

Re: Segment Conversion-1-click performance data by action name?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the great feedback. I think you're right about being careful defining 'conversions' in Adwords. It's a shame you can't set conversions at a campaign level.

If you have multiple conversions that could feasibly cross campaigns throughout the 30 day window, (eg my 'credit card' campaign may trigger a 'personal loan' conversion) is it best to create separate Adwords accounts for each product set?