AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Search terms in Search Network

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I've been having strange data in one Campaign. It is Search Network only, no Display.

Thing is, there's a huge amount of impressions and clicks since a certain date that have nothing to do with the keywords I'm bidding for (they actually have something to do, but they appear as Exact Match and they shouldn't). The Total - all but deleted keywords volume seems ok and generated from the keywords I'm bidding for. The Total - Search is where I think the problem is. I've tried not targetting the Search Partners, and putting the problematic Search Terms as negatives... with no result! (I mean, at this moment I'm getting impressions and clicks for Exact Match search terms I've put as negative keywords...)

This is totally damaging my budget and I don't know what I'm missing... could anybody please help? Smiley Frustrated

Regards,

Diego.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Search terms in Search Network

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Diego, can you give us some examples?  It's very difficult to diagnose this without knowing exactly what we're talking about.  I presume we're not just looking at plurals or close variants?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Basically the keywords are the brand name and close variants of the brand name. 

Thanks a lot for your help!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DiegoValladolid
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Is your negative actually an [exact] as shown?  If so, [nokia], won't block [nokia 7230] as that search term isn't an exact match.  You'd want nokia as a broad negative.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

You're right; I was thinking about that as I was typing the message... I'll try that and see the results.

Anyway, why should the search terms even appear since I'm not bidding for [nokia] or anything of the kind? 

Thanks a lot for your help!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi again,

Using the broad negatives have blocked the Search Terms that were damaging the Campaign ROI. Thanks a lot for your help.

I still can't fathom why those Search Terms were appearing in the first place...

Regards!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Even though 2 weeks ago it was solved, it happened again. New Search Terms appear that shouldn't, damaging my budget and results. I have to wait till they show in Search Terms, block them, and hope that that's all for now.

There's no reason for these Search Terms to appear since I'm not bidding for these words. Anything else I can do to prevent this from happening, saving me bad results and all the micromanaging?

Regards,

Diego.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Dvalladt,

I wanna ask two questions:

First: Which match types are you using as positive keywords? Broad, Broad Match Modifier, Exact or Phrase?

Second: Targeted keywords include brand names such as unlock nokia mobile phone, unlock samsung galaxy s4 etc? or you only wants to target keywords such as unlock mobile phones, unlock cell phones?

For this campaign, you certainly need proper utilization of best match type and good negative keywords list.

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks NehaGupta.

First: In this particular campaign, all the keywords are Exact and BMM.

Second: In this particular campaign, none of the targeted keywords include such brand names and/or carriers; the targeted keywords are for the brand name and variations of it (brand name with the action verb that you would associate to our business, etc).

It is true that I need to find the best match types for this campaigns, but it puzzles me that those irrelevant Search Terms appear in the first place!

Thanks again!

Diego.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Diego,

If you have keyword unlock samsung galaxy s4 in BMM and exact match type, it should not get trigger for the term samsung galaxy s4. How you are using BMM? Can you please show some examples? I am sorry if it sounds a very basic question but I realy need to understand the situation correctly.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’