AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Search popularity vs Average Monthly Searches

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

Was hoping someone could provide some clarity on the difference between 'Search Popularity' results vs 'Average Monthly Searches'? When I registered an account for adwords I noticed that for Cheese (as an example) it showed that there were 2,400 searches for 'Different types of Cheese' on average;

First Search

However when I have checked this again in the Keyword Planner tool under forcasts it is only showing 140 searches on average per month;

Searches 2

Can someone please explain the difference in these two set of results to me? Please note that the first set of results were gathered when I first signed into ad words to start my campaign and I have not been able to access the same tool since.

Cheers,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Search popularity vs Average Monthly Searches

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Alexander,

The difference is because of the targeted location you selected in the keyword tool.

2400 is the monthly search volume when you select 'all locations' in the keyword planner.

When I select California as my target location the tool is showing search volume as 140, and 70 when I select Texas.

Deepak

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for taking the time to respond however the 2,400 is specifically for Australia as demonstrated by below screenshot;

The below is screenshot is taken from tool targeting Australia as well,

Image2

Even when opened up to Google search partners the average volume for that keyword is well below what the tool shows when using it for the first time.

Cheers,

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Alexander,

It looks like the 'search popularity' data is not considering your location selection (I could not find a documentation for this). Try the question mark next to the 'search popularity' label which will give you more details about this data.

Within your screenshot you an see the average monthly searches for the same keyword in 110.

Also refer the two screenshots below.

DifferentCheeaseAllLocations.jpg

DifferentCheeaseAu.jpg

Deepak

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Deepak, looks like a bug on Google's end!