AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Search Terms Missing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've been running an AdWords campaign for the last couple of weeks now. All our keywords are set to Broad Match.

We have a decent list of negative keywords but I would like to make it more relevant. To do this I check Reports comparing search keyword and search term. I thought this was working until I checked impressions on a separate Report and found that we only had a few search terms but 100s of impressions (each search term only having a one or two impressions).

Googles help page states that search terms and impressions should match but this clearly isn't the case for any given time frame. What's happening here? Have I missed something?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Geoff H
October 2016

Search Terms Missing

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Yeah, our vocabularies are not synch-ed yet ... Smiley Happy

Based on the above, now I tend to think you'd perhaps like to expand the *Other search terms*.... but that's unfortunately not possible. If that's what you would like just ignore my previous post.

View solution in original post

Search Terms Missing

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Couple of things.

1) have you attached Google Analytics to the account, and associated Adwords to Google Analytics - GA does a better job of reporting the Search Terms ( and faster)

2) The adwords search terms report has a slower reporting time and only reports a small amount of data. So the Help page info unfortunately is not accurate in the case of showing all the details.  Plus you have to consider time zones, the adwords interfaces is on a PST time zone. Which might not match your Local time zone as you attempt to sync your data from a Day to day or month to month time frame..

3) Look into using [Exact Match] terms as well

4) In your Negative keywords, you can use One word entries to exclude out entire keyword phrases.  How big is your negative list, my average negative keyword list is 7K per campaign.

Lets see what some of the other Experts have to mention as well...

Re: Search Terms Missing

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Geoff H,

Yup, they should match, however, there may be some lagging in ST reports for which reason e.g. I would not look at *today*. Another issue may be that multiple-page select of keywords is not available for the ST report.

For demonstration purposes, I am selecting only 1 keyword to focus on. This is the keywords report:

Capture-oct12.PNG

And here you can see the relevant ST report:

Capture-oct12a.PNG

Please notice that the bottom line number (impression count) is 9.242 in both cases. Matching numbers should be displayed in your reports as well. My best guess is that your issue is caused by the way you're selecting the keywords for the creation of the ST report. 

Best,

Lakatos

Search Terms Missing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Eric, thanks for replying

I haven't linked Analytics no. I've been a bit cautious about doing that as I don't have access to the Google Account that we're currently on and I thought it would be a lot of hassle for me to get the data or account details, but if it's that or inaccurate reports I guess it's probably worth it.

I did want to use Exact Match or at least Phrase Match but the rhetoric we'd been provided said to use Broad Match so we went that way, I don't know if I have the authority to change it.

Our negative keywords list has only 296 words, but we haven't really used AdWords before so this is more of an experiment. 

Search Terms Missing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lakatos, thanks for replying.

I'm new to AdWords I'm afraid and don't really understand your solution. I've taken screenshots from Monday to show you what I'm looking but I don't know how to put them in this reply like you have.

Thank you again for replying, 

Sorry for being so tech illiterate 

Best regards,

Jake

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Geoff H
October 2016

Search Terms Missing

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Yeah, our vocabularies are not synch-ed yet ... Smiley Happy

Based on the above, now I tend to think you'd perhaps like to expand the *Other search terms*.... but that's unfortunately not possible. If that's what you would like just ignore my previous post.

Search Terms Missing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK well thanks anyways Smiley Happy