AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Search Query (not triggered keyword) for dynamic landing pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear community,

I was trying to improve conversion rate and user experience by skipping a step in my customer journey via dynamic landing pages. I've searched through many threads here, but most results are about the time before google was hiding the search query:

example:

1. user is searching for "myspecialkeyword productname"

2. I have broad match on "myspecialkeyword" so every combination with "myspecialkeyword" and any product name will trigger my ad

3. Now I want to send the user to the special page of the productname, e.g. http://domain.com/specialinfos.php?id=productname via dynamic final url http://domain.com/product?kw={keyword} but this does not work, because only the "triggered" keyword = "myspecialkeyword" and not the whole search query will be posted.

Is there any possibility (no matter how much coding work it takes) to get the real search query on my landing page? I've watched the cookies, the referer...nothing - I was thinking of creating a lot of keyword combinations with "myspecialkeyword productname" for every product, but the problem is, there are so many products and this is really longtail with not so many impressions, so google wont deliver my ads

I would be really thankful if there is a workaround or something else for my problem, thank you very much in advance and best regards, David

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2016

Re: Search Query (not triggered keyword) for dynamic landing pages

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey David, how are things?

The solution would be to use a report called "Search Terms Report". This report will show the exact keyword used on the search that triggered your ad. By default, the report does not show the keywords from your campaigns and only show the user query, but you can modify the columns and add the keywords from your campaign, that way you can compare which of your keywords were accessed by which user query.

Just a note: Using the ValueTrack for {keyword} on your URL will always show YOUR keyword, and not the user query. I'm don't know of any method where you can pass the user query along with the URL, so the Search Terms Report is definitely the way to go.

You can discover all about this report, here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leandro, thank you for your answer, but unfortunately this is not really a solution - I want to deliver the perfect page for the user's search and not check the keywords afterwards
and thank you for your note, but already mentioned this: "but this does not work, because only the "triggered" keyword = "myspecialkeyword" and not the whole search query will be posted." - I need a solution for my exact problem - really sad, that it seems google does not support this way of thinking Smiley Sad

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey David,

From I know, I really doubt that Google will provide a way for us advertisers to grab the user query in "real-time". Everything Google provide rely on your keywords (such as the ValueTrack, Keywords Insertion and others), and everything related to user query are provided afterwards.

I get the feel that you want to deliver a 100% good experience for the user, but I guess that if you can deliver like 90%, isn't that great? Considering that MANY advertisers don't deliver even 40% some times, that's a lot for me. What I mean is that if you have a broad modifier for "myspecialkeyword" and the user query had that keyword, you should continue to use the valueTrack for {keyword} and use that to create your Landing Page. I know that's not exactly what you want, but thinking on the user side, this was a keyword that WAS on the query, so it will get some advantage on the user eyes. I can tell from experience on that Smiley Happy

Also, Using the Search Termos Report you will be able to optimize your campaigns further and further by adding the user query that are relevant to you, until you get to a point that the most variety of user queries are already within your campaigns, so you will be able to provide better experience. This is something that will come with time and optimization Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leandro,

thank you again for answering Smiley Happy
Unfortunately the {keyword} = "myspecialkeyword" is already the main purpose of the special landing page, I just want to make it even more special with the "productname" which is very long tail, so not really possible to make new combined keywords out of them - so I fully agree with your post, but I am already at the limit of this optimizing - 2 years ago google would provide me the exact search phrase in real time... and it seems, there is no alternative now Smiley Sad

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
David, do you have separated ad groups for which "Productname" or are they all together in one group? I don't know if this would work for what you have in mind, but in case they're separated in individual groups, you could create a Custom Parameter for the Ads of that group to pass the product name on the URL, wouldn't that help?

You can check more about Custom Parameters here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6325879?hl=en-AU

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
no, I'm only bidding on "specialkeyword" broad, so I do not have any other keyword(-combinations) with my special keyword, because google wont deliver them, because they have so little impressions Smiley Sad

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

This is a bigger marketing question than having your keyword appear in your URL, which sounds impossible. So luckily move on, the way you can over tune in-page SEO. There are in-page best practices to improve conversion, and it's come under the topic of Inbound Marketing and landing pages, so do your research there.