AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Search Lost IS (rank) is showing 56% despite QS of 10, Avg Position of 1.1 and high bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adwords Community,

I'm currently stumped by some numbers that my account is showing. I've seen a significant YOY drop off in Impressions for one BMM keyword however my budget and bid are more than adequate. 

The problem seems to be linked back to my Search Lost IS (rank). This column is showing as 56% Lost IS (Rank) for March however my Lost IS (Budget) is o%. The ads for the keyword (there's a single keyword in the ad group) are eligible and showing, the QS of the keyword is 10, the Max CPC is $0.63 while Avg CPC is $0.32. Does anyone have any ideas what's happening here? As I understand it I'm covering the two basics to have a high Ad Rank - a QS of 10 and a bid that puts me in the top position. What am I missing here?

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Search Lost IS (rank) is showing 56% despite QS of 10, Avg Position of 1.1 and high bid

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Matt

Your case sounds really interesting.

Check details of your auctions to see who you bidding against.

Then you can change your bidding strategy to Automated: Target outranking share - put your competitor's domain and set target to outrank to 100%

I hope this should regain your IS to desired level.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt D
April

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Matt,

So if you are in an average position of #1, but 56% Lost IS (Rank), then that means you are in #1 for some matching search terms, and not showing at all for some others. 

If you aren't showing for them, then it is hard to find out what terms they are. I have seen this before where Google matches your BMM keyword to someone else's brand.

The way to find out is to bid substantially higher for a day or two and see which new keywords turn up in the search terms report.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi @Matt D,

Ad Rank is calculated using your bid amount, the components of Quality Score (expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience), and the expected impact of extensions and other ad formats.

So might be competitors gain higher ad positions or you lost ad impressions due to this factor.

Also, there are many internal factors that comes into effect during real time auction to generate the ad rank.

Competition in any particular location at any specific time may be the reason where you are loosing the auction.

Use bid adjustments for devices, location and ad scheduling.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

This signals an increased competition, and although your max CPC is higher relative to the actual CPC , it is lower for  about  40% of the auctions in the relevant time period.

I would consider increasing  the bid further.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Łukasz S,

Thanks for the response. It's certainly a possibility that a competitor is bidding against us here. As mentioned below by RobSkelton I will push up our bid to see if I can get a look at the search terms that are triggering our keyword. Once I can lock down the competitor I will explore your strategy.

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @RobSkelton,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The BMM keyword is a branded term that is quite similar to a competitor so it's possible that we're being completely blocked from some searches and completely owning others. I've kicked the bid up quite a bit so we'll see what happens.

Cheers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @RobSkelton,

I've increased my bid quite a lot and I've seen an immediate response. The Impressions have lifted while Lost IS (Rank) has decreased significantly. Thanks for your help.

Cheers