AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Script TypeError: Cannot call method "getValue" of null. (line 8)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to implement the reporting script here: https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/solutions/account-summary

I've followed the instructions to the letter, and I'm getting this error code in Adwords Scripts when i run it:

TypeError: Cannot call method "getValue" of null. (line 8)

So it is line 8 of the exact script in the link above.

Here is the URL of the spreadsheet I am trying to post the data to:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Avm28EuyFVV7dDJNdEZ3YTJhaV9NR0VYbE9ySjhKY1E#gid=3

What can I be doing wrong? thanks for any help.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Script TypeError: Cannot call method "getValue" of null.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ben S,

I don't use scripts, but I'll give a shot.

Did you put in the correct [YOUR_URL] for the spreadsheet? I'll assume you have.

The first getValue() is see is for the range named 'email'. Are you sure there is a range with that name? It seems to be returning a null value.

That's all I have for you today. Let us know how it works out?

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks for the reply Pete!

you can see in my spreadsheet (link url above) that i've got my email address in there.

line 8 in the script is:

var last_check = spreadsheet.getRangeByName("last_check").getValue();

so I"m not sure what that is referring to.

could it be that my url is not correct? should it have the #gid=3 on there? (just tried removing that and the script still returned the same error)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ben,

Oh, I missed that one. I took a quick look at the spreadsheet. The name ranges seem to be ok. The script looks for a date in that cell. If there is no date, it should use today's date.

I don't use AdWords scripts. I can't really test or debug for you. I gave it a shot, though. @AdWiser is pretty good with this stuff. Maybe we can get him to take  quick look.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hello.

In my case it runs, fills one row with some data and then if I run it the next day it seems that it isn't doing anything else.

Why it is doing it I do not know, it should probably be debugged line by line.

Sorry for not being able to fully assist.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin

I guess that is good to know, must mean it is buggy then, I couldn't figure it out as I thought I had followed the instructions to the letter and still didn't work. Good to know it's not just me it's not working for then.

i rang adwords support, but they said they don't help with those technical issues, and suggested I jump into the forum instead.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
I'm sorry I couldn't really go line by line and value by value to see where is the issue. I'm pretty sure that if there is a mistake somewhere it can't be huge.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

Just wanted to add something the script is not buggy. 

If date cell is empty the script will automatically take that as yesterday.

I think it has something to do with your spreadhseet URL can you check that again?

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi thanks for that Nik

I've just seen your email, I received the Account Summary Report for account ending in 4774.

What did you do for me to receive that?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ben S, Theniks.

I have a same error and I haven't yet fix it.
Please tell me how can i fix.

Thanks