AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Same user clicks on 2 ads, which one gets attribution?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everybody! Smiley Happy

I asked Google this question, but then I saw a different answer on this thread 

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/Same-user-clicks-on-2-ads-which-one-gets-...

and now I am veeery confused... Woman Tongue

So my question is: 

• Scenario A: I have Search only campaigns on my account. Let's say a user clicks first on "Ad group 1", goes to the site, doesn't convert and then he goes to Google, searches by my brand name, goes to "Ad group Branded", clicks and converts, which group will get the conversion: "Ad group 1" or " Ad group Branded"

Google said Ad group 1 will (or this is what I understood...) but the thread above says Branded group would be the winner?

FYI: I exclude sales from my branded group in my CPA so if the second gets the conversion, then my data is going to be very wrong... : ((

• Scenario B: I have two accounts with two different Client IDs for the same website: in the first I am running Search Campaigns, in the second, retargeting campaigns.

If a user clicks on the first (search), goes to the site, does nothing, and then sees the ad from the retargeting campaign, clicks on it and FINALLY converts... Am I right in thinking both accounts will register the conversion as they are two completely different accounts even if they send users to the same domain?

Thanks a lot for all your help and support!Smiley Wink

Best,

Sandra

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Same user clicks on 2 ads, which one gets attribution?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Sandra,

The google rep may have misunderstood the question, he may have got confused when you said: 'goes to google, searches my brand name" he may have assumed that this user then reached your site organically. In that case the first (and only ad click) gets the conversion.

In scenario B, completely hypothetical, both will get the conversion. I say completely hypothetical though as you will never be able to do this as it would be considered double serving.

hope this helps

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Sandra.

In the first case the branded ad group will get the credit for the conversion. Though the initial ad group may get credit for an assist, if it happens within at least 90 days from the click on its ad.

In the second scenario both accounts should register a conversion, yet at different moments. Please note that in AdWords the conversion is attributed to the day the ad was clicked, not to the day it actually happened (as it is the case with Google Analytics).

So if account A's ad gets clicked on day A and account B's ad gets clicked on day B and the conversion happens on day B, you will see a conversion on day A in account A and on B in account B, provided that (B-A) < D where D is the duration you choose for the conversion window in account A.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adwiser!

Yes, this all makes sense!!

So in case A, I see a lot of conversions on the branded group that I don't take into account when calculating my CPAs, so I understand now my information is not completely right...

Which would be the best practice here:

1. Should I based my calculations on the Assisted Conversions?
2. Should I count the conversion on the branded group as any other conversion in other group?

I really don't know what to do, my CPAs jump up and down every week and I am almost sure this has to do with this branded group...

or.. 3. Should I just delete it? : ))

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Those are some tough questions you're asking, Sandra Smiley Happy.

Branded campaigns are the best, aren't they? Smiley Happy At least apparently. Because the deeper you dig the more surprises you find. Many advertisers see branded campaigns converting like crazy, but this is usually because they are the last click before the conversion.

People come to your website from many sources and then, when they're ready to convert they just google a branded keyword (because it's easier than typing a URL) and bam! Conversion! (in Avinash's words).

Off the top of my head (though I'm sure there are extensive materials somewhere on the interwebz), you can do the following:
- work with an account CPA, not campaign CPA, and optimize in a more holistic way
- have a look in the Multichannel Funnels and see which was the last touchpoint before the branded conversion

I'd very much like to hear the opinion of other, more experienced advertisers as well. I, for one, have tried (successfully, my clients say), to focus on simpler metrics (a budget and a sales target). Sometimes even overall sales, not just AdWords, last click sales. But that may not work for everybody.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Clynton, I think that if one account is serving search ads only and the second one retargeting campaigns they might serve ads, at different moments (and different types as well) without falling into the double serving scenario.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Sandra,

Adwiser has made a really good point here. Multi channel funnels can solve your problem very nicely, but allowing you to attributing the conversions to certain points in the funnel as opposed to a last click attribution model. Perhaps consider using the 40 - 20 - 40 model. Which attributes 40% credit to first and last touch and 20% to anything in between.

I would highly recommend not deleting your branded campaigns, rather see which conversions you can attribute to non-branded terms.

I myself usually concentrate on a holistic account in the client reporting with sub sections breaking sown how each separate campaign is doing (search vs display and brand vs non-branded). At the end of the day, each campaign contributes to the whole picture and cutting out any section could drag it all down.

Good Luck

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey adwiser,

There was a really long discussion on this, and google is pretty strict on the policy. 2 accounts serving ads for the same website is a big no no, no matter if those accounts overlap or not.

See the discussion here:
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Confused-about-Double-Serving/m-p...

The crux of the conversation comes down to:
"the rule is simple: One business entity - one account; no matter what targeting methods are used."

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I read that thread, Clynton and I'm thinking of this situation: one website owner works with an agency for search. Then they contract another agency to run their display campaigns (remarketing). For whatever reason. I don't see why that should be considered double serving, as long as the second account doesn't even do search (just as the first doesn't do display).

The policy specifically states "advertisers should avoid running ads from different accounts on the same or similar keywords that point to the same or similar websites.". In the case I've outlined above it shouldn't be considered double serving. The thread you've referenced though is another thing.

Sandra, back to you Smiley Happy.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Adwiser,

the problem becomes a situation of monitoring. If accounts were allowed to spring up all over and target different things, where does it stop? Can I have different accounts for different target locations? And what is stopping those accounts from violating the double serving policy in actuality? Google would be swamped with constantly monitoring every business that has 2 accounts to ensure the policy is not violated. A rather daunting task. For this reason they are so strict on the rule.

Of course you could apply for an exemption (Have not heard of anyone receiving one yet though, although I am sure they are out there Smiley Tongue).

But we digress, How is Sandra doing? XD