AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Same Conversion Tracking Code, Multiple Conversions

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

My client already has conversion tracking on the confirmation page that appears when users successfully sign up for a trial account, but they want to use the same conversion tracking code for confirmation pages that display when they convert their trial account to a paid subscription. They want to see how many trial accounts are being converted to paid accounts/subscriptions. Can they use the same conversion tracking code on multiple confirmation pages? Or should they set up a separate conversion tracking code to track conversions from trial to paid accounts? What is the best practice, and the best way to track how many trial accounts are converting to paid accounts?

Thank you in advance for any insight and/or suggestions.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Same Conversion Tracking Code, Multiple Conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Andrew,

Presumably the trial period is for more than a day, and many people who convert to paid will get to that page without clicking on your ads again.

I don't think AdWords is the solution for finding that data. You would be better off having an internal system that recognises the source of people who sign up for trials, and stores that information (ideally a field in their account).

AdWords only counts conversions that follow on from a click on your ads. And it doesn't remember who is who for multiple conversions.

If you did have a (second, different) AdWords conversion code on the paid success page, it could record conversions for people who found you organically for the trial, and then via an ad for the paid.

Are you using a particular CMS or is your site custom built?

Re: Same Conversion Tracking Code, Multiple Conversions

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your insight. Trial accounts for users last 30 days. So, if a user clicks on my AdWords ad, which goes to the free trial account signup page, and registers for a free trial account, then that conversion will be recorded in AdWords.

However, I've set a 30-day conversion window for the tracking code used on the confirmation page that displays when users successfully register for a trial account. I've also set the attribution model to "last click." Since I've set a 30-day conversion window for the tracking code, couldn't I use the same tracking code on the confirmation page(s) that display when users convert to a paid account? Wouldn't the AdWords tracking code remember that the user originated from an AdWords ad if the conversion occurs within 30 days, even if they don't click on the AdWords ad? Users sign up for a paid account from within their settings menu in their account, so they wouldn't be clicking on an ad prior to this action.

If sometime within the 30 days the user clears the browser cache and cookies, or signs up for a paid account using another browser than when they signed up for a free trial account, I suppose AdWords won't be able to record this as a conversion.