AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Retrieve AdWords Data in Analytics from a Later Organic User

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Say I am tracking each user who visits my website from AdWords with a Custom Dimension that stores a User Id from my CRM.

To find out what keyword the person clicked an ad from, I simply segment that data off using the custom dimension and check Matched Search Query.

Say the user then goes away from my website and returns via Organic traffic (most probably remembering the company name and Googling it straight). 

Now, Google Analytics tells me that the Source / Medium is Google Organic, and there is no Matched Search Query. 

1) Is there a way of still locating in Analytics the matched search query and all the AdWords details from before he turned into an organic user?

2) Is it possible to create a view where a users' cpc source cannot be overridden by a later Organic visit?

One thing that may be possible is to set all the Brand Name terms as direct, that way they wont change the Source / Medium.

Re: Retrieve AdWords Data in Analytics from a Later Organic User

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
No one?

Re: Retrieve AdWords Data in Analytics from a Later Organic User

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Zevi,

In Analytics did you try viewing the Conversions -> Multi Channel Funnels -> Top Conversion Paths? Add the second dimension of "Matched Search Query Path."

It's possible to specify to GA not to record/change the source if it exists already (in the GA cookie). But this is not a "view" and is a configuration that would effect all your traffic stats.

Bejan A.