AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Reporting on Affinity Audiences?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm experimenting with a custom affinity audience with a list of competitor URLs. Is there any way to report on which URLs are driving traffic? I'm getting much higher numbers than I would expect, so there's probably one or two in my list that are just not specific enough, but I can't figure out how to report on which ones are the culprit(s).

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Reporting on Affinity Audiences?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Andrew R

The volume of a custom affinity list does not directly correlate to the urls you entered, but rather the topic(s) assigned to them.  If these competitors all do the same thing, one url or ten urls would essentially create the same list.  It's what the website is about, not the traffic they get.

Affinity lists by nature, custom or not, are huge and should be used with care. 

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hey Andrew,

You should be able to view this by selecting your ad group targeting the affinity audience and then clicking the 'Display Network' tab. Then click on 'Placements' and you will see a list of domains with their respective metrics. I believe this is what you are looking for. You will have the ability to add any poor performers as negative placements.

-Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@JimVaillancourt

I think he is talking about the specific URLs he used to build the custom affinity list. I don't think data is broken down on that level.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Gotcha, I likely misunderstood. @David K is correct that you can't breakdown the performance by individual URLs targeted in a custom affinity audience. However, you can view the top website topics associated with the URLs in your affinity audience. The way that I would view this is by going through the steps to create a new affinity audience, highlighting the one that you are interested in, and clicking 'Details'. If there are any topics that look particularly irrelevant then you may exclude them in the Display Network > Topics view.

I would also recommend some additional optimization tactics like excluding poor performing placements (described in my previous post) and demographics (as viewed in the demographics tab). Lastly, if you are using websites with very different content and a low likelihood for topic crossover then you could create affinity audiences for each content unique set of URLs. You can then create separate ad groups to target each audience and compare performance of the audiences once active. This will give you a better sense of which URLs are performing best from a custom affinity audience perspective.

Also, David, did I hyperlink your name correctly? I'm not sure how to do that.

Thanks,

-Jim

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@JimVaillancourt

yes, you got it. I had trouble figuring that one out as well.  I think the easiest way is after hitting reply, click on "Full Reply Editor."

When you type an '@' symbol there, it brings up a list of everyone participating in the thread so you can just click them.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys! Thanks for the details. The Placement tab definitely clarifies things.

Our company sells software to recruiters and staffing agencies, and so I started off with the URLs of our competition. I think what may be happening is that those domains also are used for job boards, making them totally irrelevant for targeting.

I think I may have to be more specific with my target URLs... use relevant subpages rather than the root domain name for the competitor's website.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew R
March 2016

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Andrew R

That is a niche B2B market. These types of campaigns on the GDN need to be very tight and focused.  I personally don't think Affinity Lists are best suited for this. Affinity Lists are very broad and designed for reach. I've worked on quite a few B2B campaigns, and for me it always gets whittled down to some choice manual placements.  The only way to find them of course is to use other targeting options. I think your best bet for this will be to explore topics with keywords, demographics and smart use of 'Target & Bid' and 'Bid Only.'

If you've built a remarketing list on the Adwords side, I would recommend you looking at the "Similar List" that is generated. That's going to be a lot closer to what you are looking for in my opinion. It's also a good source for more manual placement ideas.

I hate to go off platform, but with this kind of B2B scenario you should also be considering FB. You can target by job title, professional certifications, education topics related to the field, etc. LinkedIn has this level of business targeting depth to it as well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks David. This is the first time I've toyed with these things. We have had our AdWords in general disabled for several years and have just now started looking into it again, so this is all new to me. Smiley Happy I appreciate the advice!

We have had limited success with LinkedIn and Facebook thus far. LinkedIn is actually a perfect market for us, because that's where our users (recruiters) spend a lot of time, but we've had mixed results targeting them. We get a lot of junk traffic there - probably people who mark themselves as being in the recruiting industry because they're looking for a job and trying to meet recruiters.

Anyway, we'll revise the campaign and see if we can get a little more focused.