AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Reporting for Search impressions on the 2nd and 3rd Search Page

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

For certain keywords I bid below the Estimate for First Page bid, yet I get lots of impressions and clicks, from the segment "Destkop" only "Search" not "Search Partners" and also a good Avg. Pos of over 3.0

I wonder if these keywords are getting traffic from the First page or the second or 3rd page of Search.

Is there a way in AdWords to segment search statistics to tell exactly how many clicks I received when the Ads were on the first page and how many when the Ads were on the second or 3rd Search Page ?

I want to be able to tell if I got 10 clicks something like 0 (Zero) clicks were from the first page of search , 7 clicks were from avg. pos 2.1 on the second page of search and 3 clicks were from avg. pos. 1.5 on the 3rd page of search.

Is this data from all search pages (first, second, third) currently bundled into a single "Avg Pos" ?

Thank you

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Reporting for Search impressions on the 2nd and 3rd Search Page

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

As of now it is not possible to segment or identify search statistics to tell the number of clicks by page 1, 2, or 3.

And yes, the avg. position is for all the pages where your ad was shown within the date range you are checking.

In my case i have seen many such scenarios where the keyword is running below first page bid and my avg. position is 1.5 or 2 which makes me think a lot that how come a below first page keyword get a position between 1 to 2.

Some of the data by Avg. position (of a particular keyword) can be found in Google Analytics.

Regards,
Ashish

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, thank you

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

There was once a good article which explained how ads are cycled on the following pages. This article was removed, probably due to the complex matrix of the calculation.

The principle goes as  follows:

Since there are only 3 top positions available all ads eligible for the 3 top positions are ranked (assuming they meet the threshold). On the first page only the 3 highest ranked will be shown above the search results. All others, eligible to be shown above the search results, will be shown on page 2, 3.. until no more ads eligible for top positions are left. When this happens the first top 3 ads (shown on the first page) are shown again.

All other ads (not on the 3 top positions)  will be shown on the side (after re-ranking). So,  for example, if there were  5 ads eligible to 3 top positions, 3 would be shown on page 1, 2  ads on page 2, and could be that the first ad from page,  would be shown again in position 3 on page 2....

I think Google avoids segmentation by pages because it could confuse the user...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The help center still says about avg. Pos. That "9-16 is generally on the second page" so if I am constantly shown below the first page I shouldn't get an avg. Pos. Of 2 or 3, right?

If I bid " below first page bid estimate" I should at least be able to tell on what page the Ads were generally shown by looking at the average pos : if the average is above 9 the Ad was " generally on the first page ?

I don't think a segmentation would add confusion , on the contrary it would help understanding the data. Right now the avg.pos. is very confusing for me as it does not seem to indicate the search page 1 , 2 or 3 .

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Celebird, what is your point with the usage of the variable &num=250 in the search URL ?

That the first page can show more than 10 results ?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

mainly that the definition of page is user-configurable
and so, more generally, has rather limited meaning.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes it is configurable for the 0.1% of the users who know how to do it, still the page numbering is there, if there are many results. As long as there are 2 or 3 pages of results, AdWords should report if the Ad were on the 2nd or the 3rd page.

For the clients that I have met there is a strong motivation for them who pay for AdWords to understand if their Ad "was on the first page" or not. It is an even stronger desire to see in the reports that their Ad was "on the Top of the page".

Being on the "first page " of Google is a psychological obsession Smiley Happy and being on the second page would be a disappointment . Currently I cannot tell if their ads were on the first page or on the second page which is bad.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Since the average is a misleading metric, and Google does not report the "spread", in term of campaign strategy, any position greater than 7 has the potential of (some) ads to be shown on the second page.

So, if talking about campaign strategy:  an average position greater than 7 worries me -, and flags a call for an optimization.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’