AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Reported CTR for keyword , is average (mobile+desktop)/2 ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

I have seen some strange values for the reported CTR. If you segment it by device  , even when I had no clicks from mobile (just impressions) the overall CTR was smaller than the CTR reported for the Desktops (while zero impressions from tablets). For example unsegmented CTR 2.6 % but segmented CTR for desktops 2.7% .

I wonder if segmenting by device can provide some unbalanced results like : 0.1% CTR for mobile and 5% CTR for desktops but the unsegmented default reported CTR is (5+0.1)/2 = 2.55 %. In this case if you forget that you have mobile traffic enabled by default , your desktop CTR could hold a much more interesting value.

[edited bellow - added image ]

different-CTR-devices.png

[2nd edit since no one answered] I think now it is a weighted average between 3 factors ( desktop, tablets and mobiles) but what exactly is the formula for the overall reported CTR which we all see by default ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Reported CTR for keyword , is average (mobile+desktop)/2 ?

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

HI Adrian,

Overall CTR is just Overall Clicks / Overall Impressions:
(53 / 2033) * 100 = 2,606984751598623 (or 2.61 rounded)

When you segment by device, the CTR per device will be based on the impressions and clicks for that device. (ie. 2.77% = (53 / 1916) * 100)

So it's normal that your Desktop CTR is higher than your overall CTR since it's based on the same amount of clicks but less impressions.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

HI Adrian,

Overall CTR is just Overall Clicks / Overall Impressions:
(53 / 2033) * 100 = 2,606984751598623 (or 2.61 rounded)

When you segment by device, the CTR per device will be based on the impressions and clicks for that device. (ie. 2.77% = (53 / 1916) * 100)

So it's normal that your Desktop CTR is higher than your overall CTR since it's based on the same amount of clicks but less impressions.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I would have never guessed that my CTR and ultimately my QS could be influenced by a random number of "mobile impressions" with no clicks hidden under a segment.

Do you know by any chance if the reported QS is device specific ?

Because of this "overall calculation" of the CTR, there could be 2 scenarios :

1) Cheap traffic from mobiles with great CTR , pulling up the overall CTR which determines the keyword's QS

OR

2) A lot of traffic from mobile with bad CTR like my fantasy example of 0.1 % , pulling down the overall CTR, which probably lowers the QS of the keyword too.

I find this very interesting to analyze since the mobile traffic is default.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
The QS reported is not device specific, we only see one QS per keyword. But whether the actual QS that google uses to dermine Ad Rank is device specfic, I don't know, it might very well be. (anyone else has more info on this?)

52 impressions for mobile devices is maybe a bit small to act upon, but note that you can create specific mobile optimized ads in your adgroups

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, it would only be important if mobile impressions are almost the same or more than desktop impressions but clicks significantly lower on mobiles. Then it could become a real problem.

Probably this happens for low bids , where on desktop you get position 7 but on mobile you have not so much competition and the "desktop low bid" is actually a high bid for mobile.

Thanks Ken M for the help on this ! Smiley Happy