AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Report For Budgets

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to generate a report by day where you can see at which hour of the day a campaign may have exhausted it's budget.  The only way I've figured out how to somewhat do this is combining two reports together, dumping it into a spreadsheet and creating a couple of calculated fields.  I'd like to use this report to be able to present to clients to discuss if or why they may need to increase their budget because it's being exhausted early on in the day and they may be missing out on relevant searches later on.  

Is there a report I'm missing somewhere that might show this?  

Thanks guys,

Tyler

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Report For Budgets

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Tyler,

That's a great question. The good news is that there is a report for that.

Within the AdWords interface, go to the Dimensions tab and click View > Time > Hour of Day.

This will show you during the selected date range how many clicks, impressions, etc. you're getting during each hour of the day. You can add Competitive metrics columns to see how your Search Lost IS (budget) varies throughout the day.

I hope that helps!

John

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Tyler,

If you want see to see the cost breakdown by hour for a particular day, you can do it by using segment>Time>Hour of the day. You can get to know at what time your allotted campaign budget got over.

If you want to see this data for a some date range, you need to go to the Reports tab on the top middle of Adwords panel. Now click on +Report, select Table. In the filter option, select the campaign whose data you want to see and click on Apply

From the columns select, Day and Hour of the day metrics and add them as rows. Now select Cost metric and add it as a value. Download the report to see at what time on a particular day the campaign budget got over.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. Yes that certainly is helpful. I also tried to recreate this in the Report Builder and I can almost get it. The issue I run into is a limitation within the report that won't let you break down each day by the hour.

To give you an example of how I'm trying to visualize the data would be this:

A client has a campaign with a budget of $100 per day and each day that budget is exhausted but at different times. Even though the campaign settings say spread the budget evenly throughout the day there are days where the budget is consumed very early due to high search volume for keywords. So the ideal report would look something like this:

Day Campaign Budget Cost Hour Of Day Reaching Budget
August 1 Local $100 $110 15
August 2 Local $100 $102 16
August 3 Local $100 $108 11

I don't have an issue creating calculated fields but the problem arises when trying to get the dimensions of Day and Hour of Day and then adding Cost. For some reason in report builder having these two fields together grays out the ability to add Cost to the report.

Your suggestion is good and about 95% there.

Thank you!

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the additional context. I see your challenge.

Do you need to have the "Budget" column? I was able to construct a report in the Report Builder with these columns:

Day
Hour of Day
Campaign
Cost

The Budget column is not compatible with the Hour of Day column, but if you know what the budget was each day you could download the report and manually add that to the spreadsheet.

Best,

John