AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing List Size Getting Decreased

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

In one of my Rule based remarketing, list size is getting decreased day by day. When I started it was 300 and now it moved out to 10, as I can see in the list size graph as well. What can be the reasons for this and how can I incraese my list size ?

Thanks

Puneet

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing List Size Getting Decreased

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Puneet,

Welcome to the AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy

There are multiple reasons to decrease the Remarketing list size but the main reason could be Remarketing size is not working properly because your website missing the Remarketing code.

Thus check your remarketing code and verify it  through the Google Tag Assistant.

It is also the chance that traffic might be decreasing on your WebPages on which you have set the Remarketing Rule. You can check this through Google Ananlytics and verify whether it is receiving the same traffic or it is loosing...

In order to increasing the Remarketing list you can increase the Memberships Duration in the corresponding Remarketing list in the Shared Library.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Rakesh

Thanks for your reply. As I can check in my account, remakreting Tag is working properly and already placed on that particular tracking page, the membership duration for visitor is also 90 Days.
As you said that decrease in traffic can also affect this. I think decrease in traffic can affect increasing graph for remarketing list, but it should not make any change in remarketing list size, as cookies are already there for past visitors.

Thanks
Puneet

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If your cookie is set to 90 days, then once you hit day 90 people start dropping off the list at one end and are added at the other. If more drop off than are added then the list will shrink. However, this is relatively easy to check - look at how many new visitors you had on your site on 90 days ago and how many you had today - the difference is how much your list should have changed - up or down - and more or less.

I do, however side with Rakesh on this - there's probably a problem.

I have had a couple of problems recently with lists - I have set up a parallel list in both cases, which worked immediately. You may want to try doing that - set up a new rule based list using your domain (or part of it) for the rule - check to see if the increments for the new list are the same as the original. My bet is that they will not be.... let us know.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Punnet,

When a user visits a web page with Remarketing tag, their cookie id is added to the Remarketing list and visitor remains in the Remarketing list until he/she removes the cookie in the browser or the Remarketing list membership duration time expires( in your case membership duration is 90 days).

Also i agree with @Stickle Back suggestions

New members are added in to the list with new visits on the page, with new cookie IDs, old members are removed after 90 days.

The Remarketing lists is updated on every second when a users visit on your site. But AdWords interface is updated every 24 hours to reflect all the eligible users in any given list. If a user were to clear their cookies, it would take until the next update for this to be reflected.

It is explined by Google in the LInk.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Some trends that I noticed in audiences :

1) The more mobile traffic a site has , the faster the audience decreases ( or increases slower) because mobiles delete their cache more often

2) In weekends , probably because of company network maintainance, audiences decrease as cookies are deleted by network admins from office computers who browsed the sites/sites . Many people visit sites from work and their computers are "cleaned" more often than home computers.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
@stickleback
Stickle I have checked the campaign is not 90 days old, so the first reason doesn't apply here.
Apart from that I think that deleting cookies by visitors can't be so much that remarketing list will get down from 300 to 10, it's not realistic..Smiley Happy
I have created a new remarketing list for the same rule, now see how that will perform.

Regards
Puneet

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

300 is a small audience. I have noticed lately many visits from the Bing bots identified as "Microsoft Corp" every day from another city. If you have them too and they are 15 per day it totals to around 200 in 2 weeks and these bots do delete cookies (if they even accept them in the first place).

Have you changed the location targeting of your remarketing campaign lately ? For example to narrow it from a country to a city ?