AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Regular Expressions at the goal funnel steps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi all

I have 3 goals that the final destination are define as >Equals to:

the steps are:
  1. /Cat1View.asp?cat=23&Cat2Cat1ID=23&Cat2ID=&SubCatId=     (main category)
  2. /pl_products~23~72.htm  (/pl_products~23~73.htm  (in goal num2..))        (sub category(changing according))
  3. /Cart.asp                                                                                    (shopping cart)
  4. /company_confirm_transaction.asp                                           (the goal)

The problem is that between step 2 to 3 the Client browse through a differents product pages with url's that contain the catalog number - e.g: /pl_product~TGAF212006~23~72.htm 

and the funnel visualization report consider that as an exit from the funnel.. !

How do I set a url at the goal steps that built with variable ?
 :For example 
pl_product~XXXXXXXXXX~23~72.htm
pl_product~yyyyyyyyyy~23~72.htm

/pl_product~XXXXXXXXXX~23~73.htm
/pl_product~yyyyyyyyyy~23~73.htm

meaning that these pages are differents items in a specific catagory >  (e.g 72,73) 
i need to set up this continuity  as another step in the funnel  (between step 2 to 3)

..I know that i have to use  Regular Expressions ,but i dont know how exactly
 * can it used only in specific one step in the funnel ?
* is there a need to change the definition to something else than >Equals to:

still, I really need some help
Thankss a lot.
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author tand g
September 2015

Re: Regular Expressions at the goal funnel steps

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello, Tand.

As far as I can see they should both work, but the first is more general (any character, any number of times, as opposed to only 5 options which all start with TGA...).

If /pl_product~TGAF21300(1|2|3|4|5)~23~73.htm is the natural progression after /pl_products~23~72.htm (the current step 2), and if you want to see how many people exit from /pl_products~23~72.htm and how many progress to /pl_product~TGAF21300(1|2|3|4|5)~23~73.htm, then you should feature this step in your Goal Funnel.

I see you're not too sure about your regexps. Here's a tip: before using them in a funnel, test them in the pages report. Just look at all pages and then filter using regex. If your regex filter works in the pages report, and you see the pages you expect, you can use it in your goal funnel as well.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tand g,

This is really an Analytics question and you might get better advice there, but, I will give it a shot. From what I see, you don't need regular expressions, head match will do unless there is more to the story than you have presented here.

I'm guessing there are multiple Category pages. Did you make a Goal for each category? If not, this should work (as Head Match)

the steps are:

/Cat1View.asp?cat= (main category) Sales Funnel Entry (required?)
/pl_products (sub category(changing according))
/Cart.asp (shopping cart)
/company_confirm_transaction.asp (the goal)

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply,

i have 3 goals for each sub-category >>

there is 1 main category (first step at all 3 goals -the same url) (not required)

sub-category (step 2 - three differents url's).

step1,3,4 are the same at all goals..

the steps now are the same as you mentioned..

The problem is that between step 2 to 3 >>

the funnel visualization report consider that as an exit from the funnel.. !

(i cant see the continuity to the next step:shopping cart - it's mark them all as an exit from funnel..)

So, you say that i dont have to add another step between steps 2 and 3  ??

if so, how can i fix it ..

Thanks a lot Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Tand.

Please have a look at this document: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2976313?hl=en

The order in which steps are accessed is not taken into consideration by Google Analytics in the Funnel Visualization, and this can cause all sorts of strange situations.

Snippets from that document:

For example, let's say your funnel is defined as /step1 > /step2 > /step3.html > goal.html. A user then had this session: /xyz > /step3 > /step2 > /abc. The Funnel Visualization report would show an entrance from /xyz to /step2, a continuation to /step3, and an exit from /step3 to /abc.

If you want better insights with regards to your visitors' path through the goals steps, you are advised to use the Goal flow report.

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Calin,

Thanks a lot Smiley Happy

I'm wondering about the best way to analyze users behavior at specific category, and also in the Goal Flow report

i cant see the continuity to the items pages (i mean as a step). So, i think  i have to add another step to analyze the situation best from the start to the cart..and to the goal.

in this case,i think,  i'll have to use regex ,do you think that will works ?

/pl_product~(.*)~23~73.htm

/pl_product~TGAF21300(1|2|3|4|5)~23~73.htm

which one do you think is more suiteable \ proper ?

I realy would appreciate your thoughts !

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author tand g
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello, Tand.

As far as I can see they should both work, but the first is more general (any character, any number of times, as opposed to only 5 options which all start with TGA...).

If /pl_product~TGAF21300(1|2|3|4|5)~23~73.htm is the natural progression after /pl_products~23~72.htm (the current step 2), and if you want to see how many people exit from /pl_products~23~72.htm and how many progress to /pl_product~TGAF21300(1|2|3|4|5)~23~73.htm, then you should feature this step in your Goal Funnel.

I see you're not too sure about your regexps. Here's a tip: before using them in a funnel, test them in the pages report. Just look at all pages and then filter using regex. If your regex filter works in the pages report, and you see the pages you expect, you can use it in your goal funnel as well.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Tand,

Don't forget to escape the periods:

/pl_product~(.*)~23~73\.htm

/pl_product~TGAF21300(1|2|3|4|5)~23~73\.htm

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Ahem. Good point Smiley Happy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Calin and Pete,

Thanks guys, you the best !

i'm realy appreciate your help.

I think i'll go with the: /pl_product~(.*)~23~73\.htm

I have one more last question >

Do i have to change the definition of the goal because i'm adding this regex step ?

the current definition of the goal is Equals to:

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hello. Equals to refers to the goal destination page, which in your case is /company_confirm_transaction.asp. If that URL can change in any way (have appended parameters for instance), you need to use Regular Expression there. If it's fixed, then "Equals to" will do.

The funnel steps accept regular expressions anyway.