3.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Redirects

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

All of my Adwords campaigns go to a redirect page before the final landing page.  I need to have internal tracking as well as Adwords and Google Analytics reporting.  However, the "?gclid=" is stripped out during the redirect, and Adword conversions are not registering in Google Analytics.  Disaster!

If I set a delay in the redirect, will that give the tracking time to register?

If so, how long is the recommended delay to ensure all the campaign parameters are recorded?

Thanks fo any help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Redirects

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi GameGal,

I think you need to rewrite the fowarding URL to include the query string data. Is the redirect page on the same domain as the final landing page? If so and you own both domains, you definitely need to include the query string data in the forwarding URL in order to record conversions on the final destination domain.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pete!  From what I hear the delay would need to be several seceonds to ensute the tracking registered...so passing on the parameters seems to be the way to go, assuming I can account for all the variations.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi GameGal,

I think you are on the right track, here. It sounds to me like you are using either a Javascript or a meta-tag redirect. When it comes to Analytics tracking, no amount of time will be 100% reliable. There are just too many variables, one being how long it takes ot load the Analytics scripts.

The Meta-tag redirect will require a dynamic page, so the server side script can append the query string data to the URL. With Javascript, just make sure the document.location.search is added to the new URL before forwarding.

If you are using an http/apache rewrite rule for the '301 Redirect', I can't give you any specifics, but I do know it can be done. You might need to do a little research on that.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords