AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Redirects and capitalization in your destination URL

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Using the correct destination URL is more important than you realize. If you have any redirects or changes in the URL’s capitalization when a user clicks on your ad, this may impact the results you see in Google Analytics. Lindsay, from the AdWords team, is here to tell us more.

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author KathleenG
September 2015

Re: Redirects and capitalization in your destination URL

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

If you have a redirect on your website, this can prevent Google Analytics from attributing Sessions (and as a result goals, transactions, etc) to the correct AdWords account, campaign, ad group or keyword.

Its really important for you to make sure that the URL that you specify as your destination URL is the final URL that a customer will land on from your ad. There should be no redirects or changes in formatting of the URL as this may cause some issues with appropriately tracking the source of sessions on your website in Google Analytics.

Common instances where this can happen, are when you point your ad to your home page, such as www.website.com, but your site redirects to www.website.com/index.html. Another common occurrence is when the page no longer exists, but your website simply redirects to the home or index page. Some times when these redirects occur, it causes the parameter that AdWords automatically appends to the end of your destination URL to be dropped. The gclid parameter that is automatically appended to the end of your destination URL is what tells Google Analytics what campaign, ad group or keyword that session originated from.

Also, if your website is set up to reformat your URL to use all lowercase characters, this can also be a problem as the gclid parameter that is used for auto tagging always includes a mix of lower and uppercase letters. If the website's redirect changes the gclid to all lowercase, Analytics can't attribute the click to the correct AdWords source data.

You can do a test at any time to see if your URL will track properly in Google Analytics. Add the paramater “?gclid=TeSter-123” to the end of your destination URL in a browser as seen below, and load the URL. If the gclid parameter is not dropped from the end of the URL and the format of the parameter does not change, then your reporting should be accurate.

http://www.website.com/?gclid=TeSter-123.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hi,
i have one campaign (A) with destination www.example.com and one (B) with destination example.com.
The www.example redirects to to example.
How can i change my campaign (A) to destination url example?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey thanks for this - this is the best way I've seen the explanation put so far..

My problem is that on testing:

http://www.website.com/?gclid=TeSter-123.

After I press enter it redirects to:

http://www.website.com/different-page/

My website is built through BigCommerce- I've checked all of the 301's and they seem ok.. any where else I should check?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Joe

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!