AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Redeveloping website and moving domain to new host

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I am about to redevelop a clients website and move their their domain to a new host. I have spoken with their add words team and they are unsure about what to do in this circumstance, and whether or not this will affect any add words campaigns that they have going on .

Please could you advise whether or not this will affect their add words and what precautions I may need to take. 

Thank You for any time spent on this in advanced.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author sanjay b
February 2016

Re: Redeveloping website and moving domain to new host

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Sanjay,

Think about it like this. You never want to pay for a click that leads to an error page, right? If URLs will change on the new site, then of course the ads need to be updated as well. If there will be a period of transition while the new DNS settings from the new host are propagating the web, then of course you may want to consider pausing ads during this transition. Heck, with a new website there could be potentially new opportunity for keyword use too. There is plenty that could be considered through a transition like this - this is just off the top of my head.

In the simplest of terms, you always want to make sure that your website is available and that the correct URLs are set up in your ads - otherwise, you pay for clicks that get you nothing in return and present an awful user experience.

A change in host and a change to the site structure (redesign) are both scenarios that your AdWords team should definitely understand how to handle and be able to guide you with the information they need to make the transition smooth.

Good Luck!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author sanjay b
February 2016

Re: Redeveloping website and moving domain to new host

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Sanjay,

Think about it like this. You never want to pay for a click that leads to an error page, right? If URLs will change on the new site, then of course the ads need to be updated as well. If there will be a period of transition while the new DNS settings from the new host are propagating the web, then of course you may want to consider pausing ads during this transition. Heck, with a new website there could be potentially new opportunity for keyword use too. There is plenty that could be considered through a transition like this - this is just off the top of my head.

In the simplest of terms, you always want to make sure that your website is available and that the correct URLs are set up in your ads - otherwise, you pay for clicks that get you nothing in return and present an awful user experience.

A change in host and a change to the site structure (redesign) are both scenarios that your AdWords team should definitely understand how to handle and be able to guide you with the information they need to make the transition smooth.

Good Luck!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’