AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

RLSA campaign remarketing lists

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I've been reading mixed messages and wondering if anyone can help. I have a audence list set up in Analytics and I don't have the AdWords Remarketing code set up on my site nor do I have the audence lists set up on my site. Can I still use Analytics Audence lists for my RLSA campaign or do I need to set up remarketing through AdWords? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: RLSA campaign remarketing lists

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Analytics remarketing code cannot create audiences to be used to target Search, sorry.

You need to create an AdWords tag and the rules are different also when the audience is built :  it needs 1000 cookies and from visitors which are not logged in a google account at the moment of the visit for the cookie creation. If they are logged in a google account at the time of the visit they are not added to the list for "privacy reasons".

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Interesting to know, about not storing cookies for people logged in into a Google Account. Does this also effect audience lists in Analytics for use on the GDN?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
I think not , it is a 3rd party cookie in that case , from doubleclick.net
A browser blocking 3rd party cookies could block the analytics remarketing code.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just to understand what you are saying. Remarketing use 3rd party cookies. If you have a audience list in AdWords and logged into your Google Account this will NOT store the cookie. On the other hand, if I have an audience list created in Analytics and I'm logged into my Google Account and I'm not blocking cookies in my browser, will this store the cookie?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nathan O
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Analytics remarketing code - uses 3rd party cookie from doubleclick.net , is set for most users.

Analytics audiences can be used only to target Display.

AdWords remarketing code - uses another type of cookie, which is not set for the Search audience, when user is logged in google while visiting.

The AdWords remarketing audiences allow targeting also in Search + Display. You will notice how the Search audience is much less than the Display audience, created with the same AdWords tag.

About the "logged in" condition for Search remarketing , I found out from the forum recently and I also found it here

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2280819/Google-AdWords-Remarketing-Lists-For-Search-Ads-RLSA-Th...

The search list doesn't include users who are signed-in to Google. This is an effort to protect user privacy."

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I did read this as well, I must of over looked it. Thanks for pointing this out

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Nathan;
In short:
You will need a separate remaketing list for RLSA. Due to  Google's  privacy policy this list does not include users who visited your site when logged in into their Google account

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV,

I am trying to set up a Search Remarketing campaign but all of my lists are only available to the Display Network. Do you know what the problem might be? In the past I have only been running Display Remarketing and have built the lists through Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics.

Thanks for your help.