AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Quick q re new website call tracking setup

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

If using the callback function option, should the script with the callback function be placed in the <head></head> before or after the adwords conversion script (I'm assuming afterwards but just want to check)?

And, I tend to use a different number on the website to what i usually use for my ppc call extensions

From the help page:

" ... callback function will replace contents of an element with the id "number" with the formatted forwarding number."

So does that mean I can still have a different number within the element that will display to non ppc visitors and it will simply be swapped out with the google call number when a ppc visitor hits the page provided the div or span or p element has the id="number"?

Thanks
Whims :-D

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bronwyn V
September 2015

Re: Quick q re new website call tracking setup

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Whims,

Thanks for posting!

The guidance given is to paste the code snippet between the head tags (<head></head>) of the page. As long as it's within the head tags, I don't think the exact position will have an impact. 

The overview states: Advertisers place a snippet of code on their web site that dynamically inserts a Google Forwarding Number to be displayed in place of the normal advertiser business number when a user reaches the landing page after clicking on an ad. Only people who click on your AdWords ads will see the forwarding number. 

I hope this helps! 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi RachelM, thanks for the response.

thanks for clarifying re the code placement.

I didnt articulate the 2nd part of my question very well, will try again,

and I'll admit, I'm possibly way overthinking this

On the website I display the usual public ph#  123-456-7890. 

However for ppc purposes only in call extensions I use a non public ph#  098-765-4321

from the instructions -

Get a telephone number and replace contents of all spans of the given class. In this example, the phone number "1-800-123-4567" inside the span tag will be replaced with the formatted forwarding number:

<body onload="_googWcmGet('number', '1-800-123-4567')">
  <span class="number">1-800-123-4567</span>
</body>

Is the number in the following code meant to be the number used in the Call Extension or can it be the general public business number that is usually displayed on the site that then gets swapped out by google if the visit is via an ad?

<body onload="_googWcmGet('number', '1-800-123-4567')">

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi again,

Website Call Conversions uses the call extension phone number associated with the campaign or ad group that generated the click. It is for this reason that you need to have active call extensions using Google forwarding numbers in order to use Website Call Conversions. 

As such, I'd use the number associated in with your PPC advertising. 

I hope this helps! 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Actually, that makes sense.
Thanks @RachelM

The terminology is messing with my mind this week Smiley Happy

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

@Dave_Davis , I know right! I've just got my head around it all too Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Thanks RachelM :-))

Ok.. so in the onload the call extension number gets put in

and then in the span tag, is the usual public number for non ppc.

Do I have that correct?
(sorry for being a pain, been futzing with setup and am yet to actually manage to get it working. Finding it a bit frustrating as it doesn't seem to be rocket science) lol :-)))))

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Whims,
I believe you are correct. Playing around with it myself now for the first
time and I believe that's how it works. Sorry for misleading you in the
beginning. I really didn't think that call extensions were required!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Nps Dave :-)))

If you get it working can you let me know?
I've tried both the callback method and the method above and for whatever reason, it's just not playing nicely.

I might have to have a fiddle with the code and use a different class (something less generic than "number" anyhow)

The other issue I am having too, is not being able to associate the conversion action with a call extension. I dont "think" you need to
If you are using an existing call extension with call forwarding for use in ads etc, then it already has a conversion action associated with it and you cant apply more than one.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi, here is my guide to installing Website call tracking. Take a look and clear your doubts. Let me know if it works after trying it. If not i can help you!
http://ecommppc.com/2014/08/24/adwords-website-call-tracking-setup/