AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Question regarding search query report

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Hope you can help.

Broad match keyword.

I have one phrase keyword that in the past 3 weeks showed several times on positions between 7-12 for Search Partners – Other. I see this when I run Keyword diagnosis report.

We are position 1 or 2 for Google.

I tried to find out which search term gives me such a low position.  I run search query report in both AdWords and Google Analytics – I run the report with different date ranges.

The strange thing is that in the reports all the Average Positions are 1 and 2.

Is this report only showing Google properties and not search partners?

Why can’t I see which search query gave me low positions?

Is there any other way to find out which search term is triggering low ad positions?

Have run the trigger report through adwords and google analytics with the same result.

In Adwords…

It is under ‘keyword details’ > ‘search terms’

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question regarding search query report

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Imre78;

OHHH....

Quoting:

>>>I tried to find out which search term gives me such a low position. I run search query report in both AdWords and Google Analytics – I run the report with different date ranges.

>>>Why can’t I see which search query gave me low positions?

Is there any other way to find out which search term is triggering low ad positions?

Don't you use the new format of the search query report?

New column makes keyword management easier

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

I think what you're going to find is that the SQR do not give us any good data on impressions, it's mostly about keywords with clicks.  

If you're in positions 7 - 12, my guess is you're not generating a whole lot of click activity for these positions and therefore cannot see the data you're looking for.

I agree that having this info would be great, I'm just not sure exactly how to get it or even if it's readily available.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

OOhhh...

Didnt you have any clicks in positions 1-2?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,
Thank you for the replays.
The thing is that whenever the impression comes from Google we are getting an average position of 1, the issue is only for search partners. We have terrible positions only for search partners.

The problem is that the search query report shows all avg position 1, yet in the ad  reporting (kwd diagnosis)  it is showing avge pos 10 for search partners, and we have been unable to see what and what term is triggering the search partners low placement.

Any ideas why is that?

PS: Thank you for showing the 'keyword' column i search query report, will use that in future for sure.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Imre78;

Please clarify:

When you are saying "positions" - do you mean that you are getting "impressions with no clicks" OR "impressions and clicks" - meaning you have CTR ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We are getting clicks. 

When those clicks come from Google it is reported as position 1
When the partners sites (as can be seen via segments) are sending the clicks it is showing as position 10 which makes no sense at all.
We are trying to determine what is triggering these off, low position clicks from the partner sites

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Imre78,

The only thing I can think of here is you have a low QS on search partners. We also know the QS is calculated for each and every search query, and that the QS on each search partner site will be different. Google tracks CTR for each of the search partners. We know there is a different QS for partners, and we also know that QS is not reported to us anywhere. There's apparently no way to confirm or deny this premise. But nothing else makes sense.

I might suggest segmenting the keyword report by network to see what the CTR is on partners. I find it to generally be about 10% of the CTR on Google. Keywords with lower CTR than that could have a lower QS on the search network. Why this would be is beyond me, but it is a possibility. Some of the search partner sites are horrible. I end up on them at times and I usually immediately bounce.

My question for you is do you get a significant number of conversions from search partners. If not, I might be tempted to turn them off altogether.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords