AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Question Mark in Final URLS

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all,

We have been upgrading our ads to include a Campaign level tracking template that starts with a question mark, and we have recently noticed that Adwords is automatically adding a question mark at the end of the final URL. It seems as though it is not being included in every ad, though. Is anyone else having this issue, and is there any way to prevent the question mark from auto-populating on the Final URL? We don't want the extra "?" to stop our tracking altogether.

Thanks!

Re: Question Mark in Final URLS

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Justine,

From some tests I ran about this, Google should identify the double question mark and replace for just one char. Have you had the chance to test this?

Can you post your Campaign Tracking Template as well as some Final URLs you're having problem with?

Cheers.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Re: Question Mark in Final URLS

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you!

From my conversations with Google, they believe that the issue is with my spreadsheet formatting before I upload my new ads. When you say testing, do you mean testing the tracking template under Ad URL Options within the ad? If so, it seems that the landing page is found but Google does not replace the 2 question marks with just one.

We use both a call tracking string as well as a third party management string in our ads. The formatting for the URLs we use is below:

Final URL:
www.sample.com/

Tracking Template:
{lpurl}?mm_campaign=CampaignNumberHere&keyword={keyword}&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Google-PPC&atrkid=CampaignNumberHere_{adgroupId}_{targetId}_{placement}_{creative}_{network}_{device}_{adType}_{target}_{adposition}&trkid=CampaignNumberHere_{adgroupId}_{targetId}_{placement}_{creative}_{network}_{device}_{adType}_{target}

I hope this is helpful! Any/all feedback is appreciated