AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

QS drop - landing page relation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a simple question, but it's not an issue I need help with. It's just I wanted to hear your thoughts about this situation of mine and maybe spark a discussion.

I've noticed drop in QS for all my keywords in one campaing I'm managing. Prior to drop (which happened in early may or so) QS was 7 for the majority of the keywords with couple of 6s and 9s, and now QS is 4 for all of them.

The overall performance of the campaing is, seemingly, unhurt. Avg. pos 1.1 (only one keyword 1.3), monthly spend the same as previous 6 months, and all the other data shows almost the same performance for the last 6 months, including the last one with low QSs.

For all the keywords diagnosis shows this:

* Expected clickthrough rate: Above average
* Ad relevance: Above average
* Landing page experience:Below Average for majority and Average for some (althought the landing page is the same for all of them)

So the only problem seems to be the landing page. No changes were made to the landing page whatsoever and the same page is the destination for all the keywords, no individual keywords URLs destination were created. NOTHING was changed in the campaign, only some bid adjustments.

About the landing page, it's the agency's website, everything is as advertised, they sell services (translation and publishing related) and they want the visitors to see who they are and to phone them. So if the person was reviewing the site (not bot), I doubt the website experience would be flagged as "Below average". They drive traffic only using Adwords (no SEO campaigns that would trigger penalty of some kind).

Why do you think the QS dropped when landing page wasn't changed (nor anything else, for that matter)?

I guess the landing page was re-evaluated following the Penguin update, or for some other reason, the landing page was rated not-so-well and the QS dropped. Or maybe, the change in keyword diagnosis is not "display only". Maybe the landing pages are now rated differently.

Re: QS drop - landing page relation

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Stan,

As you told i think your keyword is not present on the meta content of your landing page please check that and have a look on below tips i think these will help you initially or these threat will help you

1. Put your Landing page url in google adword keyword tool and analyse that what google thinks about your page and related keywords to that page.

2. Put your keyword in meta content of your page like title, description, heading tags, image title and image alt atributes.

3. Make Optimized campaign means that create different ad groups for particlular sevices and particular keyword.

EX. If your having a real estate compoany so create groups like flats, row houses, bungalows, land etc. One mre thing is that create adcopies related to particuler services and keywords.

4. Put you keyword in adcopy title and if its possible that in display url too.

Regards

-Vicky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your time Vicky.

I've got your tips covered, more or less (I only need to put keywords in meta image title and alt image attributes, the rest is already there)

What do you think has caused the drop of QS? It was 7 for 4-5 months and dropped to 4 while nothing was changed in the campaign.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Stan,

If I may suggest, please check you landing page load time. If content of the landing page remains the same, then I don't think the tags or meta content matters for PPC. Even I have a client who experienced a huge drop in rankings due to the Google updates but that didn't effect my PPC QS. So my suggestion would be to improve on the landing page load time, as this is one of the criteria to measure QS, apart from CTR and relevancy.

Hope this helps!

-Neeti

- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you both for your replies.

@Neeti

The client has another website on another hosting in another country, but it's the same as the first one, (only different default language is set). Site speed is even lower (aprox. 0.2s higher load speed) but keyword diagnosis shows "Average" for all the keywords landing page experience. I've ruled that out earlier but I've scrutinized analytics reports again today and it seems that there are some spikes in load times on random dates, so I'll just look more into it. That might be the cause. Thanks again.

@ Thomas

Everything is okay with conversions and everything else about the campaign, it's profitable. But you're somehow missing the point. It's not that I need help with optimizing QS (stated clearly in the 1st sentence of the first post), it's just plain theory I'm interessted in. Why would 6 months old QS drop when NOTHING changed? Any thoughts?

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Yes, quality score is completely beyind your control, and it's not all there is to adwords. Who knows why it goes up and down when you do or don't make any changes. 

Tom