AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

QS and Estimates of Exact and Phrase Match

SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

A while back Adwords once calculated a keywords ''phrase'' match QS and Est first page bid/Top page bid from the same keywords [Exact] match data eg;

[Blue Widget] QS 8/10 & est. first page bid and top page bid of £3.25/£5.75

If a ''Phrase'' Match was then created the for the same keyword ''Blue Widget'' it would share the same data. Is this still the case?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: QS and Estimates of Exact and Phrase Match

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

The CTR for QS calculation is based on clicks in which  the search query exactly matches the keyword. ((Not to get confused with exact match)

For example:   with   a keywords "blue widget"  in broad match: only when the search query is "blue widget"  and the ad is clicked, the click is counted towards CTR used to calculate QS .  (CTR is the major component of QS -but,  don't  get confused with the CTR reported on the Adwords UI).

However; If the query was, for example, "blusih Widgit", and the KW  "blue widget" (in broad match)  did (again) trigger the ad,  the click is not counted towards  for the "QS CTR" (CTR used or QS calculation).

I hope this clarifies  the issue.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi SCL,

Quality Score is calculated each time it is used or displayed. When you're looking at QS in the UI, the QS for all match types for the keyword are based on the exact phrase. That's not the case in the actual auction.

As Moshe explained, if the search query is the exact phrase, all match types will have the same QS. An additional word on that phrase would negate the exact match, only the phrase and broad match will enter the mini-auction within your account. The winner of that mini-auction goes into the general placement auction. In this case, the phrase match would most likely have the higher QS and ad rank.

Hope I didn't confuse more!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think i explained myself too well.

Basically if i had the keyword [Blue Widget] in my account which had an est first page bid of £3.25 and est top page bid of £5.75 if i then added;

''Blue Widget'' would this phrase match inherit the est first page bid of £3.25 and est top page bid of £5.75?