AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Product Listing Ads - Is anyone feeling these are cost effective?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know it's only been a month, but product listing ads already seem to be losing money for us.The bounce rate is high and the profit from the few transactions we'd had is just barely covering the cost of the clicks.

Re: Product Listing Ads - Is anyone feeling these are cost effective?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Lauren,

Just wanted to throw out this article....

http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/3714-Google-s-Product-Listing-Ads-Cheaper-More-Profitable

These cases seem to replicate our own

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks David, but I've read a slew of articles like that. It's why we're started playing with PLA's in the first place. And we're finding the same thing we find with every PPC campaign we try - our customer base doesn't respond to them. We've even had paid consultants come in and look at our campaigns to figure out what we're doing wrong. The answer has been nothing, our customers just don't trust paid ads.

For us it all comes down to these sentences from that article:

"Organic rankings are still critical because users typically trust them more — and still click on them at a high rate — but paid ads are clearly becoming more important."

And then this one:

"From the beginning, Google claimed that paid search results — similar to Google Shopping — resulted in a bad user experience. The implication was that websites should not be able to buy their way to the top. But clearly Google’s philosophy is changing."

Based on everything I've read, paid ads are only becoming more important because Google is taking prime real estate away from organic results and giving them to paid results. (The email I received saying product search was becoming commercialized said it was a way to promote listing accuracy. I cry shenanigans. We're Amazon sellers as well, and in my experience disreputable merchants are going to continue doing as little as possible for the most profit.)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm seeing ridiculously high bounce on this lately. After observing people use them I can see why, many people click on the listing expecting it to expand the clipped information. This is particularly true if they are displayed on the right hand column.