AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Problems with tracking AdWords on cooperating partner's website

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

Please be forewarned that this is a long post, as my situation is a bit complicated.

My company is trying to support our international distributors by setting up AdWord campaigns with ads we're paying for that links to THEIR websites. Our distributors have agreed to this and are open to providing their website Analytics data relevant to this campaign to help us evaluate our ROI and other metrics. The problem is that we are seeing major discrepancies between the AdWords data we are seeing for our ads, versus the Analytics data they are seeing on their website.

Here's my current setup and logic:

- Given that we can't link my AdWords account to their Analytics account, I assumed that auto-tagging doesn't work.

- Therefore, I'm using the URL Builder to manually create utm_source, utm_campaign, utm_medium and sharing these tags with my distributor to let them filter/search with. I assume this is essentially no different from distributing this same URL on a physical flyer.

- It appears that when I was testing the URLs out and copy/pasting them directly from the Builder into my browser, these hits were being correctly picked up in my distributor's analytics. (That is, we see hits when traffic was filtered with the source/medium/campaign I made).

- Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like any traffic generated by this same URL but from my AdWords campaign is being registered.

Upon further research, I suspect my problem has to do with the conflict between auto-tagging and manual tagging. Since I have other campaigns on my account, I don't want to disable auto-tagging on my AdWords account. I think it's also highly unlikely that my distributor would go as far as turning on the "let manual tags override auto tags" setting in Analytic because it might have other unknown implications and risks. The only thing I can think of at this point is to create an entirely new AdWords account specifically for housing these types of out-bound campaigns, but if that doesn't work, I'm out of options.

Do any experts here have any recommendations or alternative workarounds?

Thank you so much for your time, I really appreciate the help!

Andy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Gene,

I think you have a very legitimate reason for opening a second account. 

But why can't you link AdWords and Analytics? Consider creating a new Gmail account that your control, that gets admin permissions in Analytics and AdWords. Because your distributors already give you access to their Analytics, this shouldn't be a problem.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick response! To clarify, our distributor isn't letting us access their Analytics account; they're sending us reports of the data relevant to our campaign via Excel/PDF.

I've gone ahead and opened up a new account and started testing to see if my method works, will see if everything goes according to plan.

Thanks again!

Andy