AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Problems tracking conversion for mobile and tablets

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I've upgraded to enhanced campaigns, and have problems tracking my conversion on tablets/mobile. Since we have our own backend system I can compare it to the numbers I'm seeing on Adwords. 

1. Adwords is not counting conversions from tablets at all, and for mobiles it's counting a lot less conversions than there actually are. 
  2. I decided to try and import the conversion data from Google Analytics, but discovered that it's ignoring my mobile/tablet traffic. When I go into Traffic sources->Advertising->Adwords, there is only the desktop data (the total number of visits matches the number of desktop clicks if I segment my campaigns on Adwords).

I never targeted mobile or tablets before because our product doesn't work perfectly there, so this problem never came up. We have a dedicated LP for mobile/tablets, and it has the Analytics code in it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCer
September 2015

Re: Problems tracking conversion for mobile and tablets

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi PPCer, is your mobile site stripping URL values?  AdWords relies upon the glcid parameter being passed in the URL so if your mobile/tablet site is stripping these out that might explain why AdWords clicks aren't being recorded.  

You can do a simple test by tapping www.example.com?test=test into a mobile or tablet browser (obviously, using your own site!) and seeing how the URL is rendered in the address bar upon loading.  If the parameter vanishes, that's probably the problem.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi PPCer, obviously it's difficult to comment without seeing your site and/or code.  The only help I can offer is that AdWords is definitely capable of tracking conversions on tablets and mobile devices because all my client Accounts do this.  This would strongly suggest that the problem lies with your site, not AdWords, and that you have a specific landing page for these devices adds to that diagnosis since it might explain why Desktops (presumably) are being counted fine.

Can you see any traffic on mobile/tablets?  From first description it sounds to me as though your Analytics code is not firing properly on the landing page(s).  Can you visit the landing page/conversion page with Chrome running Tag Assistant?

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,
I've made sure the page has the GA code in it (also with the tag assistant). This page also appears under the "Content" section in GA, so I'm tracking activity there but none of it shows under the Adwords tab.

I can see other mobile/tablet traffic in GA, but none of it from Adwords.
I'm sure this is something technical on our side, just can't figure it out Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCer
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi PPCer, is your mobile site stripping URL values?  AdWords relies upon the glcid parameter being passed in the URL so if your mobile/tablet site is stripping these out that might explain why AdWords clicks aren't being recorded.  

You can do a simple test by tapping www.example.com?test=test into a mobile or tablet browser (obviously, using your own site!) and seeing how the URL is rendered in the address bar upon loading.  If the parameter vanishes, that's probably the problem.

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
You're right!
The gclid parameter is lost when redirected to the mobile LP. I didn't notice because other parameters remain for some reason.
Thanks so much, this was driving me mad Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Yay! I got one right Smiley Happy

Jon

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Jon, I have found some of your previous answers to be very helpful, so maybe you can help me with a related issue. So my client has a separate mobile version of their site, and after clicking an ad, the redirect to the mobile version strips the gclid and all parameters, so conversion tracking is all screwed up. I entered in the mobile url in the mobile final url section under advanced url options when creating an ad in adwords, but it still strips it. What can I do to make sure that we retain the gclid? Thanks in advance

Well i just finished reading the thread, and it looks like we went through this already. Is the solution simply asking the developer to make sure that the redirect retains the original parameters, or is there something we can do on the adwords side?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it was solved way back in 2013.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.