AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Problems getting Google Adwords call tracking working on our site

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm hoping that I can find help for this issue following some pretty poor service from Google Adwords telephone support (for anyone interested, multiple call appointments were missed by Google's support team, and the technical ability of the agent I eventually spoke to was not at a level that he understood my query properly).

So... I have set up call tracking on our website http://www.houseofradiators.co.uk

I'm trying to get our standard telephone number replaced with a Google forwarding number, such that it is visible to our users on the page.

Note: We're only testing this at the moment, so the ONLY number that is expected to be changed by Google call tracking scripts is a telephone number in a light grey color (so that customers are not drawn to it while we're testing). Other dynamic numbers on the page should be ignored.

I have followed instruction from this help article:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095883?hl=en-GB&authuser=0#gfn

I have added a call extention, set up to use a google forwarding number. I know the forwarding number is working, as it is displaying in our ad listings on the Google search results page.

I have set up a call extension and added the call extension to ALL campaigns under the account.

I have added the tracking script for the conversion:

<script type="text/javascript">
(function(a,e,c,f,g,b,d){var h={ak:"1064506105",cl:"IVpNCPbb6V8Q-aXM-wM"};a[c]=a[c]||function(){(a[c].q=a[c].q||[]).push(arguments)};a[f]||(a[f]=h.ak);b=e.createElement(g);b.async=1;b.src="//www.gstatic.com/wcm/loader.js";d=e.getElementsByTagName(g)[0];d.parentNode.insertBefore(b,d);a._goog... Date,e)}})(window,document,"_googWcmImpl","_googWcmAk","script");
</script>

I have added a place holder tag with our default number:

<span style="color: #ccc" class="horTelPlaceholder">01225 424199</span>

I have added the onload attribute to the body tag so that the script fires on load:

<body onload="_googWcmGet('horTelPlaceholder', '01225 424199')">

For what ever reason, the span element with the class 'horTelPlaceholder' is not changing, the default number remains.

We'd really like to get this working, any help appreciated

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Problems getting Google Adwords call tracking working on our site

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Your website is presenting 404. It would be useful to be able to see your website so I can view the source code.

The conversion tracking script you quoted is correct. Honestly I don't know enough to comment on the placeholder tags.

Are you using Google Tag Assistant? If not install that in your Chrome and it could help you solve the issues you are having. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...

Also have you checked the status of your conversion by going to tools, and then conversions? What is the status comment next to it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The website was up, it was just a badly formatted link.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh yes silly me.

I have just checked your page source, and I can't see the conversion script in your page anywhere? It should be under the <head> tag?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Cognize,

The number is only replaced if the user had previously clicked on your ad. I did visit your site, but it looks like the code has been removed.

Take a look at this page: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095883?hl=en-GB&authuser=0#gfn

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords