AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Problems Linking Google Analytics and Adwords Account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have an AdWords MCC account, I have two clients. I want to link these clients to Google Analytics.

My MCC account mail has no Google Analytics account set up, as I don't have a website of my own.

When I go to the "Linked Accounts" section, I'm asked to sign up to an Analytics account, then I'm asked to provide the website I wish to track. But this account has no website to link to, and I don't want to link my MCC account to a clients site, as I want to track a few clients in Analytics.

What am I doing wrong, should I create new Analytics accounts for my clients and then attempt a link ?

Thanks for the help,

Roy.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Roy A
December 2015

Re: Problems Linking Google Analytics and Adwords Account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Basically, Google uses the email addresses of administrators to facilitate the linking of AdWords and GA accounts.

You will need to add your MCC email as an administrator (with full privileges) of the GA accounts. Once you do that you will be able to link them.

If the GA accounts don't exist, you'll need to set them up - one for each client - and add the code to their webpages. Obvioulsy, if you set up these new accounts you will automatically be the administrator. However, it makes sense (going forward) for each client to have their own GA account and add you as a user, since it is generally a better practice to make sure that clients have all their digital collateral in their own name.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Roy A
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Basically, Google uses the email addresses of administrators to facilitate the linking of AdWords and GA accounts.

You will need to add your MCC email as an administrator (with full privileges) of the GA accounts. Once you do that you will be able to link them.

If the GA accounts don't exist, you'll need to set them up - one for each client - and add the code to their webpages. Obvioulsy, if you set up these new accounts you will automatically be the administrator. However, it makes sense (going forward) for each client to have their own GA account and add you as a user, since it is generally a better practice to make sure that clients have all their digital collateral in their own name.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Roy,
First you create or signup for a Google analytic account using same mcc's mail id. you don't need a website for this.
Once you get your Google analytic account, ask your clients to give analytic access to your mcc's Google analytic account(if they have Google analytic enabled).
Now you can linked Google analytic account to Google Adword account.
If your clients don't have Google analytic accounts you can create a new account for your client from your Google analytic. Go through this doc https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009694?hl=en#AddAccount

Hope this help!
Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much. I had a feeling I will need to create dedicated GA accounts for my clients. But google usually look for the same email account between their different platforms, won't connecting a new GA account to one of my MCC clients be a problem ?
Thanks again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much for your help. I will try it out and see if it works.
Thanks for the article :-)

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
No - it won't be a problem - Google understands that an MCC has various AdWords account under its management and is happy to link GA accounts to sub-accounts within your MCC.