AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Problem with analytics and adwords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi friends,

I have one interesting problem. 
I created analytics code and send it to the client. 

Neither I or the client added it to site, but in some time I started to see traffic in analytics though no code was 

implemented??!!??

When I took a look, that traffic was from darodar.com and loveitaly.com domains (spam+bot network).

And one interesting thing, landing page was / domain of the site for which I made code. (it was not implemented on another site).

When I scan the site with Tag assistant it shows no tags.

Questions:
1. How is possible for analytics to track traffic, though no code was implemented?

2. Where those bots took this code from?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Problem with analytics and adwords

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Drazen,

The only difference between your GA code and the million other codes out there is the simple UA-########-01 etc.

So getting your UA number is just sequence of 8,9 or 10 numbers followed by a (Dash) and two digits.

So technically, anyone can use your code by simply having the same set of UA numbers added to their website code.

On a public forum I an not going to discuss the Potential Blackhat reasons as to why they would be doing this. Make sense?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I know that, but how traffic lands on a website for which I made that account and how can I see traffic in analytics if there is no code installed on website???
Those are the biggest issues.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
If I make a landingpage with your CODE on my site, GA is tracking the Code based on the UA number... and that traffic will show in your account(based on the UA code creation), regardless if your website has the code on it's site or not.

Same concept can be used for Cross Domain Tracking... It's tracking the UA number

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033876?hl=en&ref_topic=2772342

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Exactly.
On this website there is no analytics code installed. And I see visits in that analytics account with landing page on the exact domain for which I created analytics code.
I understand if I make analytics code for site A and someone installs it on site B, I am going to see visits in my Google Analytics account for site A although site B gets the visits.
But the code was never installed and I see visits.
PS. Those visits are from spam bots Darodar..

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
The URL or Domain Name you created to Identify the GA Account is irrelevant. The only thing relevant is the UA Number. Wherever that UA code is placed your GA will see stats

Even those you didn't add the code on your site A, the Spam Bots are randomizing the code UA number on Site B and Site C... Hence they have THE CODE on their sites... Hence you see traffic in your account associated with That UA CODE number,

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Ok, I understand everything Eric, just one thing more.
When I go to that analytics account -- behavior -- site content -- all pages and press this:
22222.JPG

it opens domain where I wanted to put analytics on?
That is the most confusing part. (PS, I know cross domain tracking)

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Drazen,

I think Eric explained it in detail how this situation could arise when you start seeing the Analytics sessions even when you actually haven't installed it on your website.

To give you another direction, you might be interested in re-posting this over specific Google Analytics forum and take the opinion there as well. This is the link: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/analytics

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I am going to try. Thanks Pankaj.