AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Problem with Adwords/GA link

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

 

I've linked my Google Analytics accounts to my Adwords account.

As such, I'm able to e.g. import my goals and add GA measures such as bounce rates and session times.

Further, I can see the Adwords search words and #clicks via my GA overview.

 

However, in both GA and Adwords, the bounce rate and session time columns show 0 for all hits - which I'm certain is wrong.

The click volume is 250+ for the period. Here is a pic of the resulting GA measures:

http://postimg.org/image/6gfc3z6v7/

 

I can't seem to find any issue with my linkage and there should be sufficient data for the time period.

 

Any suggestions on what might be wrong would be highly appreciated!

 

Appologize if this is in the wrong forum.

 

Martin

Re: Problem with Adwords/GA link

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Martin,

In order to receive site metrics you have to choose one of the views in the linked account to import these metrics from.

In other words a simple link will not necessarily provide you with site metrics. You will need to specify which view to import the site metrics from.

Read more here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704341?hl=en

Let me know if this was the case.

Re: Problem with Adwords/GA link

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi again,

 

I've set up my linked settings like in the picture below - is there something that should be changed about this?

http://postimg.org/image/6fc5f25wt/

 

I believe the problem lies elsewhere, but could be that I'm wrong?

Thanks,

 

Martin

Re: Problem with Adwords/GA link

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Martin,

Judging by that screenshot I would have to agree with you that this does not seem to be the issue. There are a number of other areas where there could be an issue, so lets start having a look at a few things.

Firstly, when did this linking take place and how recent is the time period you are looking at? GA data can take up to 72 hours to update in your AdWords account.

If this is not the issue then I think we should first have a look at the GA property to get an idea of some other potential issues. When you have a look under the AdWords campaigns there. Do you see data? are your AdWords campaigns not only receiving click data but are actually generating sessions as well?

Let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary in your GA account as this may indicate where the issue is.

One last question: are you using manual or auto tagging?

Re: Problem with Adwords/GA link

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

 

I've waited the 72 hours since I've updated the linking and I've received a number of clicks, but the problem remains.

 

When I look under GA reporting/Adwords/Keywords, it seems that I'm getting clicks but no sessions, cf. picture below:

http://postimg.org/image/vj1k5eaqz/

 

In my Adwords settings, it says that Auto Tagging is on.

However, when I look at Adwords/Campaign Management/Dimensions/View/Destination URL I get a message saying "There are no statistics for the selected date range. Please select a different date range." - I'm not sure if this means that something is erroneous on the data tagging.

 

Thank you,

 

Martin

 

 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin F
December 2015

Re: Problem with Adwords/GA link

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Martin,

 

The from the above screens ht we can see that session data is not being generated for your AdWords campaign. Now assuming that your auto-tagging is working correctly on AdWords side (you have no manual tags interfering). The first thing to look at would be to make sure that the gclid is working on our site.

 

I would suggest following this guide in order to make sure that your auto tagging is working correctly.

 

If that is not the issue then perhaps have a look here and see if any of these apply

 

Let me know if this helps.

Re: Problem with Adwords/GA link

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there, thanks a lot for the answer.

 

It turned out that it was a complete rookie mistake. The URL I had as the link to the site was csselectronics.com, while the home page is csselectronics.com/screen/product - this caused a re-direct immediately that ruined the linkage.

 

Thank you so much for all your help and appologize for taking your time on something that turned out so trivial Smiley Happy

 

Martin

Re: Problem with Adwords/GA link

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
No problem Martin,

Glad I could be of assistance!