AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Possible within adwords to measure combination of pages as conversion?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you in advance for your help.

We would like to measure a conversion within adwords (or even as an analytics goal) for when a customer visits a combination of pages (the order of the pages visited doesnt matter).

We use adwords conversion optimizer, so adwords absolutely must receive the data for it to optimize bids based on the correct data.

For example, if a person visits BOTH of these pages, in any order, then adwords measures it as a conversion:

http://www.mysite.org/category_s/45.htm
http://www.mysite.org/category_s/90.htm

Right now within google adwords you can only measure a conversion when a customer visits ONE page, not a combination of pages.

For us it is very important for the potential customer to visit BOTH pages for for the conversion to be valuable.

We have attempted doing this with a google anayltics goal funnel (which we have indeed linked to our adwords account), but the so called "required step" is not actually required to measure the conversion. It is measured whether or not the other page is visited, and counted as a conversion.

Is this possible? Modify the adwords conversion tracking code? Is it possible to setup as an analytics "Event" goal?

Thank you for your help!

GW

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Possible within adwords to measure combination of pages as convers

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Greg H, and welcome to the Community.

I'd approach this by scripting on the site itself.  I'd use $_SESSION variables to track page visits and flag a vist to each of your required pages.  When a visitor lands on either of the two pages, your script checks to see if they'd visited the "other" page previously and, if so, renders the Conversion code.  It'd be about 20 minutes work for a programmer.

There may be an alternative method using Analytics, but I think that's the only way to do it for an actual AdWords conversion.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Very nice!

Is there a way, within adwords audiences, that when a vistor becomes part of a certain audience (ex. visits page A, B, & C) to also have it count as a conversion?

Thanks,

G

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Greg, I don't think there's any way to do this directly when they become part of an Audience, but there's nothing to stop you using the same rules for the audience in the way I've desribed in the first answer.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello, Greg.

What Jon told you with regards to some easy server side work to set up your conversion is absolutely correct.

However, you may be able to also do the following and check if it works:

• set up two goals in analytics. One with one page as the required step, one with the other page as the required step.
  • the second step would consist of the other page, for each of the goals.
  • export both those goals into AdWords, and make them count as a conversion

And in case anybody does A-B-A during the same session, the one click adwords conversions will only show you the first (A-B). Same for B-A-B.

Now, as for the audiences, Google Analytics remarketing allows you to define audiences by using sequence filters. Here's how it's done: http://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2611820?hl=en

But you will need to modify your tracking code in order to make these lists work and to be able to export them to AdWords. But once you do that, you can say that A-B-C should add somebody to an audience only if they visited those pages in that exact order, or in any order during the last 7 days. Have a look at the link above and you will have access to more details.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.