AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Placement Auto-tagging not working in Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We're facing issues with placement auto-tagging in Adwords and hence the cry for help!

Pardon me if the question has already been asked and answered, however, I was unable to find a solution.

Two of our campaigns are targeted for automatic placements. And hence the tracking URL is as below: http://www.domainname.com/index1.php?&5RG2DH&source={placement} where source={placement} is an auto-tagging variable for placement.

The issue is if we get 3000 clicks in a month, we are able to track only 250 clicks with the actual placement names. The remaining 2750 clicks go blank and we are unable to capture any placement level information.

Any solution to this problem?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Ravi,

Great question.

Many publishers who are part of the Google Display Network choose to make their domains anonymous when it comes to reporting. You'll see these listed in your reports within AdWords as anonymous.google.com. In these instances, Google will leave the {placement} ValueTrack blank.

I recommend checking your placement report in AdWords to see if you're getting a lot of traffic from anonymous.google.com. If you are, that probably explains why you're only seeing a small percentage of placement names in your urls.

I hope that helps!

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

I am seeing the 2700 odd clicks from different domains. A very small % of these clicks are showing as anonymous, but majority of them are showing with the respective domain names in Adwords placements section. And as I mentioned, we are unable to track majority of this via the placements tag.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Bump! Anyone who has a solution to this issue?