AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Phone call tracking -- can I have tel: html links on my website using the tracking?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a phone number that I want to track calls to. It's featured in multiple places on my wordpress website. I had linked several instances of the number to be links using the tel: html code and I'm wondering if that will cause problems with the tracking code where it will call the actual number instead of the Google number.

I'm also wondering if it changes all instances of the phone number on the page or only the first instance. I saw another thread that made me concerned that it won't work for multiple listings of the same phone number on the page.

Or maybe I need to put code by each instance of the phone number???

In case it helps, here's the page http://www.humantouchchicago.com/sports-massage-pain-relief

1 Expert replyverified_user

Phone call tracking -- can I have tel: html links on my website using the tracking?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kassy,

I've done a few tests and Google's code is only changing the first instance of the number of the page. I'd love to be proven wrong...

It is certainly possible to write an additional script to have every instance change, for example they do it at UnBounce for the landing pages you create there.

However I have yet to see a working example that anyone can use on their own site. I find it disappointing that Google hasn't created more scripts or provided more detailed information. It is commonplace to have the same number more than once on the page and it is confusing for visitors to see different phone numbers.

The other option is to pay for a 3rd party service, with more features for phone tracking, that work for all visitors, not just AdWords visitors.