AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Phone Impressions vs Call Extensions Impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the difference between the two? From what I can tell the only difference is that it depends if a google tracking number is shown or not.

The reason why I ask is that we have noticed a large drop in phone impressions recently, however we have maintained a similar level of call extension impressions. Overall the campaigns have been performing weaker than usual - I am not sure if they are related but just trying to figure it all out!

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Drew J
September 2015

Re: Phone Impressions vs Call Extensions Impressions

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Drew J,
Do you have a Google Forwarding Number enabled for this Call Extension? If you are, and your campaign isn't performing as well as you are used to seeing, this could be the reason.

Phone Impressions represents the number of times the Google Forwarding Number shows, whereas the Call Extension Impressions represents anytime a Call Extension OR Google Forwarding Number shows.

We only show Google forwarding numbers for ad groups that have received substantial number of clicks. Mobile ad groups not meeting this minimum threshold will show the regular call extension number instead.

I hope this helps,
Kathleen

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Drew J
September 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Drew J,
Do you have a Google Forwarding Number enabled for this Call Extension? If you are, and your campaign isn't performing as well as you are used to seeing, this could be the reason.

Phone Impressions represents the number of times the Google Forwarding Number shows, whereas the Call Extension Impressions represents anytime a Call Extension OR Google Forwarding Number shows.

We only show Google forwarding numbers for ad groups that have received substantial number of clicks. Mobile ad groups not meeting this minimum threshold will show the regular call extension number instead.

I hope this helps,
Kathleen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Kathleen,
Thanks for the reply. A couple of things to add - we recently segmented our nationwide campaign into separate state campaigns, so there has been a decrease in some of the volume because it is now segmented at the state level. Because we will not get tracking numbers assigned to us for some of the low volume adgroups, should we turn off Google Forwarding Numbers?

Thanks,
Drew

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Drew! I would leave the Forwarding Number turned on. When its eligible to show, it will, and in the other instances the normal Call Extension number will show. But really its up to you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much. Is there any difference between how a google tracking number performs compared to a normal call extension number? For example, would the ad look different?

Sorry for all the questions Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Keep the questions coming! The only difference a customer would see is the number itself; one would be your actual number, and the other would be a generated tracking number.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Perfect. Thanks!