AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Phone Calls & Phone Call Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Recent Changes in AdWords means Google has removed the phone call data from the keyword level/

Now, you can now only see total phone calls at the ad group level -  any thoughts why they would remove this at the keyword level?

any ideas how to get Google to return it to the keyword level?

Does anyone else miss seeing the data at the keyword level?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Phone Calls & Phone Call Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@David L;

Generally speaking, before making any change Google runs many tests, and applies the change only if the (statistical)  data supports the hypothesis (i.e. Improvement in performance).

I recall only one case in which  Google revised / rolled back the  feature to its earlier version. (This was the option for even rotation, which was brought back after advertisers  had raised concerns,)

But, you know, it's worth trying. Someone actually reads the  feedback submitted.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/176378?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
I can hypothesize why. Keyword level tracking is costly because you need a large pool of numbers. It also doesn't provide much actionable data in most cases. I did a lot of kw level call tracking a few years ago on a 3rd party platform. Most of my clients are attorneys, and I found out it just wasn't worth the cost. One month "personal injury attorney" will have more calls than "personal injury lawyer," and the next month it's the opposite. For my clients, one dedicated number per campaign is all that is needed. I'm guessing Google found it wasn't worth the cost because it wasn't useful to the majority of their customers.

If you feel that there is actionable kw level data in your case, I think you should consider a 3rd party solution. It's my opinion that analyzing that deep requires something more robust than what Adwords currently offers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
They still track phone calls and thus will need the large pool of numbers. knowing which keyword caused a call over which ad group is a big difference.

Essentially google has taken away the final attribution of the call to the keyword so the advertiser does not know which keyword triggered a call (this data was available last month and no longer is available)

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
@David_L I disagree. Keyword level requires exponentially more numbers per customer because you need one available for each active session. If it's adgroup or campaign level only, the same number can be used during concurrent sessions from the same adgroup/campaign. KW level call data can also get skewed from a pool used on a session base. They might write it down, call back later,etc. and that causes things to be attributed incorrectly.

Yes, that is what they have done, and I believe explained why. Knowing which keyword triggered a call simply does not provide much actionable data for most customers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We can agree to disagree. The tracking methodology uses a pool of numbers at the adgroup or keyword level, you can accomplish tracking at either level with the same pool of numbers. Knowing which keywords generate calls can be critical for advertisers who drive sales and leads via the phone.

Plus Google knows the keyword that triggered the call they are no longer letting advertisers see this data.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Let me see if I can illustrate why that is not true.
Let's say I have a campaign with two adgroups. This campaign generates a level of traffic where there is an average of 20 active sessions at any moment in time during business hours. For kw level, the absolute minimum amount of numbers I would need in the pool would be 20. For adgroup level tracking all that would be needed is two.

re: knowing which keywords generate calls can be critical for advertisers who drive sales and leads via the phone.
You just described what I've been doing full-time for the past 9 years. I didn't find it that critical at all, even with a more robust platform... and I've used a lot of different ones over the years. I've used Marchex, Mongoose, CallRail, and even built my own with Twilio. With Adwords you don't know anything about the call. Was it a new call? Was it a repeat call? Was it a wrong number? Did the call produce revenue? Where did the call come from? You can't answer any of these questions with Adwords' current solution.
That's why I say if you really feel kw level is important to you, seek out a third party solution that will tell you all of this. You'll also see how expensive it is.

"Plus Google knows the keyword that triggered the call they are no longer letting advertisers see this data."

How can you be certain of this? If this is true, why do you think they don't want you to see the data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes I understand the difference between Google's included phone call tracking and fee driven 3rd party services but this is not my question.

The keyword level attribution is my concern and why google removed it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Also note you can still see it at the keyword level if you segment it but can not add it within the column view off the keyword tab.