AdWords
765 members online now
765 members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Phone Call Tracking - Caller Area Code

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everyone,

I've recently started using Phone Call Tracking using a forwarding number through Google to better tracking phone calls for a client of mine.

When I view the call details under the Dimensions tab, there is a column called Call Type. In this column it lets you know whether the call was a 'Mobile Clicks to Call' or 'Manually Dialed'. Then there is another column called Caller Area Code. It is my understanding that the area code column simply lets you know where the caller was calling from within your country. As I am in Australia, there a number of different area codes which correspond with different states as well as Mobile devices. I would assume that mobile calls correspond with a call type of mobile clicks to call and a landline call corresponds with manually dialed, however this is not the case.

I'm not sure if I'm just reading the data incorrectly or if I'm missing something...I will try to attach a screenshot to let you know what I mean. I'm trying to figure out why an area code of 7 (QLD) is coming up as mobile clicks to call...wouldn't this be on a landline? If it was a mobile, the area code would be something like 411?

As you can see, I'm a little confused Smiley Happy Any help you can offer would be great!!

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Phone Call Tracking - Caller Area Code

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Capture.PNG

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Sarah,

I must say that Phone call tracking has been a debatable issue since long Smiley Happy

But since you raised a point about area code should reflect for Landline not for mobile, then I think this shouldn't be the case. For example if someone is in US and using mobile device (with number like 646-111-1111 as an example) to give a call to the advertiser and the advertiser has implemented the Google forwarding number for his ads, then this call would be recorded by Google forwarding number and we will get the report saying that 1 phone call from area code 646 has been made. So, my point is that it's not about only the landline phones, it's about which device (either a mobile or a landline) user is using to reach you after seeing the Google forwarding number attached with your ad. Based on that Google will show you the stats.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah T
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sarah,

I've been seeing the same thing in my accounts: landline area codes reported as mobile clicks-to-call; also, area codes from interstate appearing in campaigns that only target a certain state, e.g. 03 and 08 area codes, instead of 07, for a campaign targeting just QLD. (The latter is some cause for concern, since the Geographic location report for the campaign shows all ad impressions occurred in the Physical location of Queensland.)

My first suspicion is that the batch of 1800 numbers recently purchased by Google are recycled phone numbers — one of my clients has reported receiving a number of calls (via an AdWords call forwarding number) where callers have asked for a business that no longer exists. If someone is able to find your 1800 call forwarding number(s) elsewhere online/offline, perhaps their calls to the number are affecting the AdWords call tracking reports. One thing you could look at is call duration — if the duration was very short, it might indicate a ‘wrong number’ phone call.

Another possible explanation for landline area codes being tracked as mobile clicks-to-call is users dialling via dedicated Skype or VOIP numbers on their mobile devices. I’m guessing the ad click would be tracked as coming from a mobile device, but the area code would show as a landline.

I’m curious to know whether anyone else can shed light on the issue. But, in the meantime, it's only early days for call forwarding in Australia, so I'd suggest monitoring the call tracking reports for a while longer, and perhaps contact your account rep if anomalies persist.

—David

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for your thoughts on the issue. I understand what the area codes mean, I'm just trying to figure out why they correspond with "mobile clicks to call" when it appears as though the call was made from a mobile device Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi David,

Thanks for your comment! It seems as though you're seeing the same thing as me! It could be possible that people are using Skype or VOIP. Like you said, call tracking is still new so we may need to wait a little longer and monitor the reports!

I also noticed calls coming from areas which were outside my target locations as well..I assumed this was because under settings I allowed my ads to target people searching for my location, i.e. Someone in Perth searches xyz Melbourne, so they see an ad targeted at Melbourne.

Hopefully we can find out more about call tracking and get more insights on reporting as it really is a fantastic tool!

Thanks! Smiley Happy